RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Help with potential purchase of 2008 RS4.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with potential purchase of 2008 RS4.

About to take the plunge on a 2008 RS4 with about 50,000miles.

The car has been decarbed, new brakes and rotors, and replaced valve spring. Fairly clean with reliable service records. All stock, but I suspect it's been driven hard by wear on tires. I'm gonna get it checked out by Audi before I purchase.

I've got a few questions if you guys don't mind answering:

1. What things should I look for in this age vehicle as potential problems now and in the future?

2. How much should I budget for yearly maintenance if I drive 10,000 miles/year?

3. How often does it need to be decarbed and how much does that cost? Is it something I can give a third party mechanic or should I have it done by Audi?

4. How well does it fair as a daily driver? I've got old back injuries can't take too harsh a ride?

5. How well do they hold their value? I've noticed the S4 loses value very quickly, but the RS?

If there's anything else, please chime in. Thanks
Old 05-17-2016, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by raztec
About to take the plunge on a 2008 RS4 with about 50,000miles.

The car has been decarbed, new brakes and rotors, and replaced valve spring. Fairly clean with reliable service records. All stock, but I suspect it's been driven hard by wear on tires. I'm gonna get it checked out by Audi before I purchase.

I've got a few questions if you guys don't mind answering:

1. What things should I look for in this age vehicle as potential problems now and in the future?

2. How much should I budget for yearly maintenance if I drive 10,000 miles/year?

3. How often does it need to be decarbed and how much does that cost? Is it something I can give a third party mechanic or should I have it done by Audi?

4. How well does it fair as a daily driver? I've got old back injuries can't take too harsh a ride?

5. How well do they hold their value? I've noticed the S4 loses value very quickly, but the RS?

If there's anything else, please chime in. Thanks
1. DRC Suspension not leaking. Synco in 1st gear OK.
2. Just normal maintenance costs. Oil tires etc.
3. Decarb varies by car/driver. It costs ~ US$1K. Look at your local aftermarket shops (in the local forums here and the other Audi sites for recommendations - don't know where you are as you didn't provide that info.
4. Mine was a daily driver and the DRC suspension was great for street as well as track.
5. Seems that they are at a plateau right now. Lots of cars that have been driven pretty hard though with 80k miles plus