S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

'06 S4 Cab -> Sudden difficulty shifting into all gears at high shift points

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 S4 Cab -> Sudden difficulty shifting into all gears at high shift points

Hey guys,

Did a search, but didn't find a similar thread.

I have an '06 S4 Cab with 54k miles. I've had it for about 5 years and 25k miles. It was running fine the other day with no issues. I had to step on it in 1st to get around someone at a light to get on the highway, but had trouble shifting into 2nd when it was time. I suppose I wasn't being gentle.

Further examination of the other gears showed some difficulty as well. Typically no difficulty getting out of gear except for 1st when rev'ing high. At first I suspected syncros, but all gears were fine, then all weren't so little chance they all went at once. Same logic for the gears themselves.

So the common denominator is clutch. Either the TOB went bad, or the slave, or something on the clutch itself. Or I bent/broke something on the shifter.

Easy driving (timing the engine and transmission) results in mostly easy shifts into all gears. Driving a little harder (higher shift points) results in difficulty shifting. Car stays in gear once in gear for all gears. Double clutching doesn't help. No fluid under the car, and the reservoir is full.

Thoughts on what's going on? I'm willing and capable of changing or bleeding the slave, but don't have the time to devote to a full engine or transmission pull.

Thanks,
Mike

'06 S4 Cabriolet
'15 Q7
'08 S8 (sold)
'66 Oldsmobile 442 W30
'48 MG TC
Old 10-19-2016, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more notes:

Getting into 1st and reverse with the engine running is perfect with no hesitation. If I had to guess.... I'd say the clutch pedal felt lighter. I don't drive it every day (it usually sits for three to four weeks as my daily driver is my only automatic, and Austin traffic is terrible) so my leg doesn't truly remember how hard the clutch was to engage.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike, not great to hear about your issues, but still I'm sure the reason will be found. Indeed bleeding the clutch (I think it's together with the brake) is a good first step. A few questions:
- have you been changing the brake/clutch fluid every 2 years? Old fluid not only boils at a lower temp, but also damages the rubber seals
- Have you pulled the codes (e.g. with a VAG-COM)? If not is a good check as it may reveal pointers in the right direction

Best,
Grisho