S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

B&O Subwoofer Upgrade Install Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine cracked pretty bad, probably because it was freezing out but i also followed the advice as written.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by A&AEuroTuning
Mine cracked pretty bad, probably because it was freezing out but i also followed the advice as written.
It was about 75 F outside, when I did mine, not too brittle.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After doing two different setups (the in deck exchange and a 10W7 Prowedge box in back) I finally bit the bullet and had the custom fiberglass box put in the driver side trunk. To do this they moved the existing amp under the deck next to my JL 500/1. Benchmark Motoring in Bellevue WA. did an excellent job and the sound is amazing.

Quick pics below.
Attached Images   
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Former Vendor

@steve looks pretty awesome. That JL probably bumps real hard. How are you liking it?

In regard to my situation... I got a free 10" subwoofer that probably isnt the best of its kind but it was free so i put it in. Def. sounds much better than stock but unfortunately it was only a tease.

Today i placed an order for a Image Dynamics 10" Subwoofer, based on my resources Image Dynamics makes the best free air subwofer on the market. May not be true, but the info. i received was from a few reliable sources. Now to make sure it sounds proper i also bit the bullet on a JL Audi 500.1 J2 Amp.

Going to PA for an occasion in about 2 weeks and will probably end up doing the install there. Indoor heated garage with a lot of lighting, here in Brooklyn i have to sit in the freezing cold outside when working on my car so i should be in a pretty comfortable position doing this install.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

SeattleSteve - THAT is the only way to really do sub in this car. Congrats on that. I love seeing more people going all-in and doing this install. I've been enjoying my the full-sounding tunes in my car for awhile now, and it's the best mod I've done.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SeattleSteve
After doing two different setups (the in deck exchange and a 10W7 Prowedge box in back) I finally bit the bullet and had the custom fiberglass box put in the driver side trunk. To do this they moved the existing amp under the deck next to my JL 500/1. Benchmark Motoring in Bellevue WA. did an excellent job and the sound is amazing.

Quick pics below.
Wow, looks great. Looks liken did a very clean install. Congrats!

Would love to hear your impressions.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rkdiddy
Wow, looks great. Looks liken did a very clean install. Congrats!

Would love to hear your impressions.
It really sounds much more integrated into the entire system and less stand alone. Let me say that the 10w7 I had was really great as well. It put out an insane bass vibe that this just doesn't hit. But, for what I listen to - I really like this better. I do have the 10w7 Prowedge http://www.crutchfield.com/s_136S110...earch=prowedge with literally 2 months of use if anyone wants to pic up on the cheap. Retails for $699.99 probably let go for $500.00. Pic below.
Attached Images   
Old 01-22-2011, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, Steve. That hides away nicely. Glad you finally found a setup that did it for you. After you got that Miltek exhaust, I was wondering if you'd be stepping up the decibels in the sub area another notch as well. :-)

To anyone who cracked their grill - sorry, I should have mentioned just how fragile those are. I've cracked one on a car I helped with the upgrade, too. Though, with the grill back in place you can't tell. I'll update the howto to give more caution. Not that it may matter. I think they made the grills out of pretzel.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brandonb
Looks good, Steve. That hides away nicely. Glad you finally found a setup that did it for you. After you got that Miltek exhaust, I was wondering if you'd be stepping up the decibels in the sub area another notch as well. :-)

To anyone who cracked their grill - sorry, I should have mentioned just how fragile those are. I've cracked one on a car I helped with the upgrade, too. Though, with the grill back in place you can't tell. I'll update the howto to give more caution. Not that it may matter. I think they made the grills out of pretzel.
Thanks Brandon - and yes I did need a bit more bass volume after the upgraded exhaust. I'm excited to see/hear your AWE hope you are loving it, I'm sure you are. We need to get together soon.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by m444
I did not crack the grille because I followed the advice of one of the DIY postings about being very careful, to slowly pry up around the perimeter.

You can always order a new grill. There is a grille for premium sound and without.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...=1#post4297392

""Re: Rear Dash Speaker Grill
Left: 8T0 035 405 C 4PK http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/8T0_..._4PK/ES461588/

Right: 8T0 035 406 C 4PK http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/8T0_..._4PK/ES461598/

$22.66 EACH+SHIPPING""

http://genuinevwaudiparts.com/partlo...?siteid=214407

That isnt the B&O grills... The B&O grills are $130 each from ECS

Quick Reply: B&O Subwoofer Upgrade Install Guide