S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Driver door won't lock or unlock unless it's done manually

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver door won't lock or unlock unless it's done manually

I'm new here so sorry if I'm not posting in the right section.

The driver door won't lock or unlock with my keyfob or even while sitting in my car. It will only lock/unlock if I manually do it using the key in my keyfob. If I try to lock it any other way, all other doors (except for the drivers door) lock and the alarm gets set.

While driving, my car keeps attempting to lock all of the doors automatically so it makes multiple locking noises at low speeds and never successfully locks. Not sure where to go from here... I tried finding some information on this but nobody had the same problem with their s4 yet I suppose.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I already screwed up.

Forgot to add that it's a stock 2010 S4.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:08 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check to see if you have the car in Valet mode. You can check the setting in the glove box.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:50 AM

I'd recommend it VAGCOM scanned to see if any faults related to central locking come up. You may be able to have it scanned free of charge at some auto parts stores, or someone here on the forums located near you may be able to scan it for you.

Have you had any work done to the car that would require removing the driver's door panel (e.g., window tinting)? If so, it's possible that the locking sensor in that door is unplugged, or else the sensor or associated wiring/connector could be defective.

To avoid the repeated attempts to auto-lock the door, you can turn off the auto-lock feature in the MMI options. With ignition on, push the "Car" button, then scroll to the "Auto Locking" option, select it and then change the option from "On" to "Off". Once you get the problem fixed, you can turn the option back to "On".

Keep us posted on what the problem turns out to be!

Last edited by GUEST123; 07-07-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

DrGp - unfortunately, the valet mode is off. I really wished that would've been the cause

LYKUNO - thanks for telling me how to turn off that annoying locking noise! I will be taking it to an auto parts store to get scanned after work today. I hope it will be able to pinpoint the issue. No work has been done on my car that requires the door panel to be removed...that I know of. But I would really like to get into the door panel and check out the wires. I have a big feeling that's what is probably wrong with it. Would you (or anyone else watching this thread) know of any tutorials on how to remove the drivers door panel?

Thank you for your helpful replies! I will definitely post any updates or more questions that I may have. First things first, scanning it.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:06 PM

Kristy,

Here's a link to DavidB8's audienthusiasts web site. He's an incredible expert on taking B8s apart and installing interesting and useful modifications. One of the projects he did on upgrading the lock switches (so you can lock/unlock from the rear doors for example) shows the steps and tools recommended to removing the driver's door panel. See page 2 for detailed photos. Another project that displays the removal and reinstallation of the door panel was his project on installing folding mirrors. See this link for those photos/steps.

I'd suggest following David's suggestions to use appropriate tools for removing trim work, and also getting some extra door panel clips should any get broken while removing the panel.

If you decide to follow through, be sure to report how things go for you!