Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi S4 / RS4 > S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-present

how to remove the rear license plate bracket

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 245577

Default how to remove the rear license plate bracket

Got my license plate today. During the installation, I pushed the top left holding nut into the bracket. I tried to remove the bracket to recover the nut. I removed 2 torx screws holding the bracket to the trunk. The bracket doesnt move at all and it seems glued to the trunk. Probably not a big deal since I can secure the plate diagonally using remaining 3 holes. Just wondering if anyone met the same situation. This is my first german car and found it is very different from other cars I owned, starting from the simple license bracket.
firstblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 169569

Default I'm going to assume you are located in the USA.

The rear plate mount is held in place with those Torx screws and several adhesive strips that run width-wise across the rear of the plate mount. Might be easier to remove if you add a bit of heat, but it will just pull off.
uberwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I guess I will do it when the weather gets a bit warmer. The nut will stay inside the bracket for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberwgn View Post
The rear plate mount is held in place with those Torx screws and several adhesive strips that run width-wise across the rear of the plate mount. Might be easier to remove if you add a bit of heat, but it will just pull off.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 32006

This happened to me as well. I did a search and found that it has happened to others. It's a poor design if you ask me. Why double tape the frame to the car, when it is already attached to the car with torx screws?

I have the nut trapped in there too and rattles avery time I open the trunk. Going to try the heat gun and see if that makes it easier to remove the plate holder.

In the mean time, I bought a nylon insert that fits in the square and I'm using all 4 screws for my plate.
2002 1.8TMSBX Dolphin
98.5 1.8TMS Pearl
Audifourme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member

Seems the glue part is an over engineering. Also the original metal nut inserts are not very secure and very easy get pushed into the bracket. The dealer frame covers part of the registration tag. So every year I will have to remove the frame to put the new sticker on. I guess I will get another frame that doesnt cover the tag so I dont have to mess around these nuts anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifourme View Post
This happened to me as well. I did a search and found that it has happened to others. It's a poor design if you ask me. Why double tape the frame to the car, when it is already attached to the car with torx screws?

I have the nut trapped in there too and rattles avery time I open the trunk. Going to try the heat gun and see if that makes it easier to remove the plate holder.

In the mean time, I bought a nylon insert that fits in the square and I'm using all 4 screws for my plate.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 218432

Same thing literally just happened to me when removing the new car temp paper plate.

Once you remove the 2 hex screws, the double sided tape runs in two spots, underneath the indented portions of the bracket (horizontal portions) that are in direct contact with the sheet metal of the trunk.

Hair dryer for a few minutes and just work it from one side and do a few inches at a time. Definitely overkill on audis part - wish they went as far from some of the plastic interior pieces that have already started to rattle at 2k miles! Even had enough adhesion power to go back on with no issues.
josh Prieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 248602

Thanks for the info. Exact same thing happened to me. I wanted to replace the (4-hole) dealer frame with my own (2-hole) custom frame. The dealer frame only had 2 screws inserted diagonally because one of the top nuts was pushed in. But when I tried to re-position the nut, it fell inside. And after removing the star screws holding down the black frame, was wondering why it still didn't come off and was reluctant to try and force it. That's way overkill on the double-stick tape!

Now, I'm going to give it a try (especially since now that nut rattles around inside and I can't install my new frame). Wish me luck!
theyams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyams View Post
Thanks for the info. Exact same thing happened to me. I wanted to replace the (4-hole) dealer frame with my own (2-hole) custom frame. The dealer frame only had 2 screws inserted diagonally because one of the top nuts was pushed in. But when I tried to re-position the nut, it fell inside. And after removing the star screws holding down the black frame, was wondering why it still didn't come off and was reluctant to try and force it. That's way overkill on the double-stick tape!

Now, I'm going to give it a try (especially since now that nut rattles around inside and I can't install my new frame). Wish me luck!
Hair dryer is very useful. The glue hardens when cold. It becomes elastic and soft when heated.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 240760

Same thing here. 4 days after packing up new car. Try to add a black frame to replace the dealer's name on the frame. The nut got push in. 15 min of sweat and cursing. Could get it out. Can't fig out how to remove the bracket. Finally. Using a small computer screw grabber. Through those tiny holes. With the trunck open to certain position. I was able to push/shake the nut back to the right position. With a longer screw. Screw it up and back into the bracket. Then carefully remove that long screw. A d screw back in the short one
Shinchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 236420

Thanks all for the detailed info. I am also a victim of nuts () pushed inside when the dealer plates were removed on my 2012 A6. Will try to slowly pry it off.

If someone is looking for pictures, this post here gives a good insight into what's involved.
dukeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 263197

Wow, I just saw this. That damn screw fastener has been rattling around under the plate holder on my S6 since I put the plates on and had to replace the fastener with a nylon one. The dealer told me it was factory glued on there and they couldn't take it off so I didn't mess with it. I'm tearing that thing off tonight when I get home.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:32 AM   #12
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 281351

Default how to remove the rear license plate bracket

I broke one of the four factory metal inserts that accept the bolts that hold the license plate on. A couple of you mentioned replacing the metal inserts with a nylon insert. Does anyone have a source and/or a part number? I bought a new factory metal insert, but it seems to be impossible to install it into the license plate mounting plate. I'd rather not attempt to remove the mounting plate - unless I absolutely have to.
rone67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #13
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 256768

Default WOW, you suck Audi

I can't believe how many people this is happening too. I have a 13' a6 prestige and 2 of my 4 brackets stripped the plastic they are attached to and fell into the plate mount. Now they both rattle. I asked my local Audi Dealership to replace it during a recent service - and they said it wasn't covered and would cost $250 to replace!!! They claimed "someone" over-tightened the screws which caused the failure. Clearly not all of us are over-tightening, its a defect in the mounting plates.

No resolution here, just venting. You suck Audi. 65k car and you can't replace a piece of poorly engineered plastic...
A6ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 265348

Last fall when I pulled the temp tag off I went to install the new tag. I hand threaded them in and when I put the driver on the screw head it pushed the threaded nut into the bracket. Bad bracket design when the nuts aren't pressed in correctly.
That being said, what the hell is with the tape then? Sounds like every one of us is in the same boat. Agreed that we spend a solid amount of money and this BS bracket which probably costs them what, $10 bucks maybe, and it makes us look like some POS Ford rattling every time we lift the boot.
2012 Ducati Evo Corse SE
rcronin96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #15
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Quick Update

I ended up calling AoA and explained my situation with the plate and how the dealer denied replacing the plate mount. I explained that there are forum topics dedicated to the topic of stripped mounts and how Audi designed a poor plate mount etc. She said that AoA was going to reach out to the management of the dealership and see what she could get done. She said because this new A6 is my 3rd Audi I have a better chance of getting it replaced. Said they would call me with an answer on Friday. Ill update you guys when I hear back.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 212469

I just got in two slimline chrome license plate holders. I was going to install this weekend. I just eyeballed it yesterday and noticed the black backing plate extends about 1/2" lower than the bottom of the frame. Making it look sloppy to have the chrome plate and then a black plastic bit.

If I take of the black frame entirely, tape and all, are there mounting holes for a US plate?

EDIT: found this: http://www.audidiy.com/platemod.html

Exactly my problem.... Now I get to dremel my Audi. Great.

Last edited by Nostromo; 06-12-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #17
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update #2

Just got the call from my local Audi dealer that AoA sent them an email stating to replace my plate mount under warranty! Just a heads up to any of you that are having the same issue. Call AoA and plead your case, it saved me $250!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #18
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 267060

Thanks to those who have posted before me. I just got a CPO 2013 S6 a few weeks ago, and when I swapped the temporary cardboard plate for my permanent one, one of the metal mounts fell into the netherworld behind the plate holder.

I couldn't figure out how to get the bracket off the trunk lid, but after reading this, decided to try prying it out just enough to get the metal mount out of the bottom.

To do this, I put blue painter's tape around the edge of where I would be prying (to protect my car's finish), and used a 2" square plastic scraper (I borrowed it from the kitchen - it is designed for cleaning stoneware things) to separate the bottom a bit.)

I had a hair dryer on hand, but didn't need it. I was fortunate in that as soon as I separated the bottom of the bracket from the trunk lid, I could see the offending mount. I pulled the lid down to nearly closed so gravity could do its job, and pulled it out just a bit more. The broken mount fell to the driveway. Victory was nearly at hand.

The "missing" mount was on the top left corner, and the top right corner was looking loose, so I applied some force to yank that one out from its hole (very slightly damaging the plastic square hole it resides in) and replaced both with cheap plastic screw holders.

Now my plate is attached to the car with four matching screws and there's no rattle. I couldn't be happier (but the mount design is a HORRIBLE piece of engineering).
Old 10-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #19
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 291727

Default 2015 A4 Rear Plate Screws

Hi all - saw this thread. Couldn't believe it should be that hard to affix a license plate. My screws rattle and will not tighten / come off. Clearly result of a poor design. Front plate - no problem. Let Audi know in their quality survey and will likely ask the dealer to fix on a trip in. Assuming, though, I need to call AoA first ;-)
pprothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #20
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 215959

*bump*

So I've got the same problem, kinda. The little square inserts that the license plate screws into rusted out and stripped. I had to pry off the whole base and use pliers and a lot of strength to unscrew the plate. Now the plastic mold of the base/mount is stripped...

I can't seem to find a replacement part anywhere online specifically for "rear."

Did anyone find a replacement base, bracket, mount,whatever? Some people mentioned nylon fasteners. What kind did you use? Link?

Here's the OEM fasteners on mine that rusted out and are not usable anymore:
Bell/License plate fasteners 00458-8 at AutoZone.com

Will this type of mount/base work?
Cruiser Accessories/License plate mounting bracket 79150 at AutoZone.com - 1 reviews

What about replacing the adhesive strips? What did yall use? Where can I buy these?
surfer349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1998, 2012, a3, a4, a6, audi, back, bracket, european, holder, license, number, plate, r8, rear, trunk