Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi S4 / RS4 > S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-present

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 245577
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Default how to remove the rear license plate bracket

Got my license plate today. During the installation, I pushed the top left holding nut into the bracket. I tried to remove the bracket to recover the nut. I removed 2 torx screws holding the bracket to the trunk. The bracket doesnt move at all and it seems glued to the trunk. Probably not a big deal since I can secure the plate diagonally using remaining 3 holes. Just wondering if anyone met the same situation. This is my first german car and found it is very different from other cars I owned, starting from the simple license bracket.
firstblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 169569
 
uberwgn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 3,274
Default I'm going to assume you are located in the USA.

The rear plate mount is held in place with those Torx screws and several adhesive strips that run width-wise across the rear of the plate mount. Might be easier to remove if you add a bit of heat, but it will just pull off.
uberwgn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 245577
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Default

Thanks for the info. I guess I will do it when the weather gets a bit warmer. The nut will stay inside the bracket for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberwgn View Post
The rear plate mount is held in place with those Torx screws and several adhesive strips that run width-wise across the rear of the plate mount. Might be easier to remove if you add a bit of heat, but it will just pull off.
firstblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 32006
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 324
Default

This happened to me as well. I did a search and found that it has happened to others. It's a poor design if you ask me. Why double tape the frame to the car, when it is already attached to the car with torx screws?

I have the nut trapped in there too and rattles avery time I open the trunk. Going to try the heat gun and see if that makes it easier to remove the plate holder.

In the mean time, I bought a nylon insert that fits in the square and I'm using all 4 screws for my plate.
__________________
A4me
2013 S4 6MT Prestige /SD/CF/19" Monsoon
2006 2.0TQMSBX S-line Dolphin
2002 1.8TMSBX Dolphin
98.5 1.8TMS Pearl
Audifourme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 245577
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Default

Seems the glue part is an over engineering. Also the original metal nut inserts are not very secure and very easy get pushed into the bracket. The dealer frame covers part of the registration tag. So every year I will have to remove the frame to put the new sticker on. I guess I will get another frame that doesnt cover the tag so I dont have to mess around these nuts anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifourme View Post
This happened to me as well. I did a search and found that it has happened to others. It's a poor design if you ask me. Why double tape the frame to the car, when it is already attached to the car with torx screws?

I have the nut trapped in there too and rattles avery time I open the trunk. Going to try the heat gun and see if that makes it easier to remove the plate holder.

In the mean time, I bought a nylon insert that fits in the square and I'm using all 4 screws for my plate.
firstblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 218432
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 61
Default

Same thing literally just happened to me when removing the new car temp paper plate.

Once you remove the 2 hex screws, the double sided tape runs in two spots, underneath the indented portions of the bracket (horizontal portions) that are in direct contact with the sheet metal of the trunk.

Hair dryer for a few minutes and just work it from one side and do a few inches at a time. Definitely overkill on audis part - wish they went as far from some of the plastic interior pieces that have already started to rattle at 2k miles! Even had enough adhesion power to go back on with no issues.
josh Prieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 248602
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks for the info. Exact same thing happened to me. I wanted to replace the (4-hole) dealer frame with my own (2-hole) custom frame. The dealer frame only had 2 screws inserted diagonally because one of the top nuts was pushed in. But when I tried to re-position the nut, it fell inside. And after removing the star screws holding down the black frame, was wondering why it still didn't come off and was reluctant to try and force it. That's way overkill on the double-stick tape!

Now, I'm going to give it a try (especially since now that nut rattles around inside and I can't install my new frame). Wish me luck!
theyams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 245577
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyams View Post
Thanks for the info. Exact same thing happened to me. I wanted to replace the (4-hole) dealer frame with my own (2-hole) custom frame. The dealer frame only had 2 screws inserted diagonally because one of the top nuts was pushed in. But when I tried to re-position the nut, it fell inside. And after removing the star screws holding down the black frame, was wondering why it still didn't come off and was reluctant to try and force it. That's way overkill on the double-stick tape!

Now, I'm going to give it a try (especially since now that nut rattles around inside and I can't install my new frame). Wish me luck!
Hair dryer is very useful. The glue hardens when cold. It becomes elastic and soft when heated.
firstblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 240760
 
Shinchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South California
Posts: 35
Default

Same thing here. 4 days after packing up new car. Try to add a black frame to replace the dealer's name on the frame. The nut got push in. 15 min of sweat and cursing. Could get it out. Can't fig out how to remove the bracket. Finally. Using a small computer screw grabber. Through those tiny holes. With the trunck open to certain position. I was able to push/shake the nut back to the right position. With a longer screw. Screw it up and back into the bracket. Then carefully remove that long screw. A d screw back in the short one
Shinchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 236420
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: World's coldest capital
Posts: 46
Default

Thanks all for the detailed info. I am also a victim of nuts () pushed inside when the dealer plates were removed on my 2012 A6. Will try to slowly pry it off.

If someone is looking for pictures, this post here gives a good insight into what's involved.
dukeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1998, 2012, a3, a4, a6, audi, back, bracket, european, holder, license, number, plate, r8, rear, trunk


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community