S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

minimum viable CARB legal intake system

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by will13k7
If your unlucky, you'll get some dumb smog guy who thinks he is doing his job and wants to see it all oem under the hood, he'll take one look at that CF tubing and say its modded so it doesn't pass the visual test. he'll not understand or care about the technical points about not modding the air box.

... speaking about being below the law, our tunes modify emission related controls and I think that makes them illegal. I'll be switching to the stock map before getting checked and my oem intake will be back on.
Heh maybe I'll wrap it in black tape. My 2010 is probably coming due next year for its first check. They usually can't dyno an AWD so they just run the accelerator in neutral with the parking brake on, and a sniffer in the tail pipe. These cars blow 0 in like every category imaginable for particulate matter. It's kind of a joke to even test them.

I think a far bigger public hazard is the safety test, which other states like NY do. They test the brake lights, headlights, seat belts, airbags, etc. and won't give you a registration if your vehicle doesn't have that stuff working 100%.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by primetime
West, You would get better results from an open intake it's not debatable really... I've done and others have done testing via data logs and strip passes and the open intake performs better in every case... As for the legallity issue... lol!
I'm open to removing the top cover from the factory airbox. Will that have the same effect?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by westwest888
Heh maybe I'll wrap it in black tape. My 2010 is probably coming due next year for its first check. They usually can't dyno an AWD so they just run the accelerator in neutral with the parking brake on, and a sniffer in the tail pipe. These cars blow 0 in like every category imaginable for particulate matter. It's kind of a joke to even test them.

I think a far bigger public hazard is the safety test, which other states like NY do. They test the brake lights, headlights, seat belts, airbags, etc. and won't give you a registration if your vehicle doesn't have that stuff working 100%.
They dont even go that far anymore if you go to a "star" station. I had mine done and all they did was connect to the obd port and a visual, no sniffer test anymore.