S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

s4 makes the list fastest car under $50K

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markN1689
s4's a pig now.

s3 is the new b5 s4 (the real deal s4)
I've owned a 2013 S4 (got it new) & now I own a 2016 S3 so I believe I am probably the only one on this thread who can truly compare the two since the S4 was, and the S3 is, my daily driver.

The S4 had better top end performance and better torque, which you could feel. The seats in the S4 were better too as is the engine note.

However, the S3 (regardless of it being a Haldex "AWD" as @Moonsoonenough, that douche, states) drives much better. The S3 handles significantly better than an S4. I don't think anyone could honestly argue that.

The S3's interior and overall features (WiFi, Google Maps Navigation, hand-writing technology, etc.) trumps the S4. Yes, the argument could be made that the new S4 will have those features and more. But guess what -- none of you have that car yet and we're comparing your current S4's to the S3.

I really have a problem with those S4 owners who immediately jump to the argument of "Well, sorry you can't afford an S4". That's pretty arrogant and doesn't equate to much. I've owned an S4, TTS and an S5. I think the S3 is a phenomenal car.

I'd love to see what S6 owners think of S4 drivers. Hopefully it's not as arrogant and abrasive as some of the people on this thread.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Monsoonenough
Sure, you can use the argument that a fully loaded S3 is the same price as an entry-level S4 but few would argue against an S4 being a much better car, all around, than an S3. The Haldex "AWD" would have me buying an S4 over an S3 time and time again. Haldex is basically a FWD setup except under extreme conditions, whereas the S4 has permanent AWD. The S3, on paper, might be quicker, but the S4 is much faster. With an S3, youre stuck with an inline-4. S4 gets the V6 with the *amazing* throttle response coming from a supercharged setup. If you want cheap S-series performance, sure, get the S3. If you want more car, more performance, get the S4.
Just quoting this dude here so he can see my response. You're a douche. You get into these c*nty arguments like the S4 vs M5 thread. No one cares about your old *** S4 man.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Comparing S3 & S4

Originally Posted by S3PANG
I've owned a 2013 S4 (got it new) & now I own a 2016 S3 so I believe I am probably the only one on this thread who can truly compare the two since the S4 was, and the S3 is, my daily driver.

The S4 had better top end performance and better torque, which you could feel. The seats in the S4 were better too as is the engine note.

However, the S3 (regardless of it being a Haldex "AWD" as @Moonsoonenough, that douche, states) drives much better. The S3 handles significantly better than an S4. I don't think anyone could honestly argue that.

The S3's interior and overall features (WiFi, Google Maps Navigation, hand-writing technology, etc.) trumps the S4. Yes, the argument could be made that the new S4 will have those features and more. But guess what -- none of you have that car yet and we're comparing your current S4's to the S3.

I really have a problem with those S4 owners who immediately jump to the argument of "Well, sorry you can't afford an S4". That's pretty arrogant and doesn't equate to much. I've owned an S4, TTS and an S5. I think the S3 is a phenomenal car.

I'd love to see what S6 owners think of S4 drivers. Hopefully it's not as arrogant and abrasive as some of the people on this thread.
Just leased a white 2016 6mt S4.
I can say both cars are great and I would never put down the S3. It's handling/dynamics are excellent and acceleration on par with S4 if the turbo is spooling. The interior of the S3 is sharp and the MMI controls are more ergonomic than S4 also S3 has better Nav. Sound isolation is equally good.
Comfort/interior space the S4 has slight advantage. Trunk space S4 much better.
Quality of materials the S4 better.
S4 advantage in performance is explosiveness its throttle response in immediate while the S3 may hesitate a bit at low rpm. Thus the street start for the S4 is faster. Big advantage for the S3 is the mpg.
Having said all the above I prefer the S4 over the S3 however I would have a hard time selling my S3 because is so good
Old 11-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AgisA
Just leased a white 2016 6mt S4.
I can say both cars are great and I would never put down the S3. It's handling/dynamics are excellent and acceleration on par with S4 if the turbo is spooling. The interior of the S3 is sharp and the MMI controls are more ergonomic than S4 also S3 has better Nav. Sound isolation is equally good.
Comfort/interior space the S4 has slight advantage. Trunk space S4 much better.
Quality of materials the S4 better.
S4 advantage in performance is explosiveness its throttle response in immediate while the S3 may hesitate a bit at low rpm. Thus the street start for the S4 is faster. Big advantage for the S3 is the mpg.
Having said all the above I prefer the S4 over the S3 however I would have a hard time selling my S3 because is so good
At the end of the day, they're both phenomenal cars IMO. I don't think Mercedes (or especially BMW) match the interior or exterior design of Audi S models (again, just my opinion), but since this IS an Audi forum, pretty sure most would agree!
Old 11-26-2015, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

S cars are great. A sweet spot of performance and cost IMO, you don't feel like your going too much overboard on something that will be old and outdated in 4 years.

The S3 does feel more nimble, it changes direction so quickly, but one thing I miss in the corners with the S3 is the sports diff in the S4, it really helps give a nice rotation feeling which is more confidence inspiring for me.