Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi S4 / RS4 > S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-present

To those who did the Pioneer sub swap

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 212469
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 315
Default To those who did the Pioneer sub swap

This is something I have planned ASAP. Question: as opposed to drilling new holes in your deck, did anyone try to drill new holes in the speaker mount to match up with the B&O holes?

Also what's your long term review of the swap? Anything else you would have done different?
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
AudiWorld Uber User
Account #: 1158
 
Bobby Kinstle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 37,196
Default

There's a plastic ring around the top with large openings to let the screw heads seat against the metal. You will need to either remove the ring, or drill holes larger than the screw heads. Other than that, there's no reason why you can't.

As the first person to do this, I'm very happy with it. It took a few months to really break it in, so set you bass high in the beginning and then turn it down as the woofer loosens up.

My only complaint isn't volume its depth. You really can't get below 28Hz with that woofer in a free air installation. 28Hz is pretty deep though. I wish the B&O would let you adjust the subwoofer volume independently. Adding an amp just for a volume control is too much work IMO. If however you decide it isn't loud enough, then adding an amp is really easy. Buy something that can run 2 ohm and wire the woofer for parallel voice coils, rather than in series for the B&O, and you'll have no trouble making all the bass you want.
__________________
Bobby Kinstle

| 2013 S4 P+ | Moonlight Blue | Black&Silver Alcantara | Flappy Paddle Gearbox | Sport Diff | ADS | Google Nav | B&O | CF | Wireless Key | SC Badges |
Bobby Kinstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 212469
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 315
Default

Great - I actually have your original post bookmarked!
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 212469
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 315
Default

Subwoofer installed!

First impression - great. Adds a much more depth and 'tightness'. B&O amp has no problems pushing it. Cranking it up on a bass heavy song I'm riding the level about -4 in Driver focus = there's plenty of sound, no more amp needed.

I ended up drilling 3 new holes in the speaker ring as opposed to new holes in the deck of the car. Worked great - ran some 1 1/4" bolts through and it tightened down real nice. Two layers of Dynamat plus the foam gasket that came with the speakers (no one mentioned how sharp those cut edges on the foil can be...). I also cut the lead wire a few inches back and ran about 8" of new wire and connected it with electrical twist caps.

Next: Dynamat the front passenger door.

Thanks again for the original thread, plus Brandonb's original thread on how to get the deck removed.

Last edited by Nostromo; 05-26-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
AudiWorld Uber User
Account #: 1158
 
Bobby Kinstle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 37,196
Default

Glad that worked out for you. The bass will only get better over the next couple months. I also failed to mention that when I cut off the screw protrusions with my dremel cut off wheel, the little left over end of the screw fell down and singed the carpet slightly.
__________________
Bobby Kinstle

| 2013 S4 P+ | Moonlight Blue | Black&Silver Alcantara | Flappy Paddle Gearbox | Sport Diff | ADS | Google Nav | B&O | CF | Wireless Key | SC Badges |
Bobby Kinstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 226832
 
brooklyn86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
Subwoofer installed!

First impression - great. Adds a much more depth and 'tightness'. B&O amp has no problems pushing it. Cranking it up on a bass heavy song I'm riding the level about -4 in Driver focus = there's plenty of sound, no more amp needed.

I ended up drilling 3 new holes in the speaker ring as opposed to new holes in the deck of the car. Worked great - ran some 1 1/4" bolts through and it tightened down real nice. Two layers of Dynamat plus the foam gasket that came with the speakers (no one mentioned how sharp those cut edges on the foil can be...). I also cut the lead wire a few inches back and ran about 8" of new wire and connected it with electrical twist caps.

Next: Dynamat the front passenger door.

Thanks again for the original thread, plus Brandonb's original thread on how to get the deck removed.
Do you have pictures of the set-up?
__________________
2012 S4 | Prestige | 6MT | Phantom Black | Ti Pkg | Black Silk Nappa | Sport Diff | SS Inlays | Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra | Opti-Coat | Eurocode STS | Alu Kreuz | USS Sway Bars & Endlinks | AWE Exhaust w/ Resonated Downpipes | 034 Motorsport Transmission Mount Insert | Apikol Rear Diff Mount | TRUFit Air Intake System | APR Stage 2+|
Future Mods: TBD...
brooklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 212469
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 315
Default

Just this:

Click the image to open in full size.

I basically followed Bobby's install. So his is just as informative with better pics: http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...2822346&page=2
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 277865
 
Taxmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 77
Default

So to be clear, we need to either purchase a SVC8 or a DVC4 woofer so we're sitting at 8 ohms at the amp?

Any recommended power ratings? 400 WRms? I'm unaware of what the amp puts out at this channel.
Taxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 277865
 
Taxmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
Just this:

Click the image to open in full size.

I basically followed Bobby's install. So his is just as informative with better pics: http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...2822346&page=2
Could you kindly upload a few more pics? I'm having trouble gaging how this looks on both sides of the speaker and all the areas you used dynomat (top is self explanatory).
Taxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
AudiWorld Uber User
Account #: 1158
 
Bobby Kinstle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 37,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxmaster View Post
So to be clear, we need to either purchase a SVC8 or a DVC4 woofer so we're sitting at 8 ohms at the amp?
Correct you need an 8Ω sub to hook up to the B&O amplifier safely. A DVC4Ω is preferred in case you decide to add another amp later as small 2Ω mono sub amps are pretty common.

Quote:
Any recommended power ratings? 400 WRms? I'm unaware of what the amp puts out at this channel.
I'm not sure how much power it puts out, but it can't possibly be more than 120W. The original B&O sub has no useful markings on it other than 8Ω.
__________________
Bobby Kinstle

| 2013 S4 P+ | Moonlight Blue | Black&Silver Alcantara | Flappy Paddle Gearbox | Sport Diff | ADS | Google Nav | B&O | CF | Wireless Key | SC Badges |
Bobby Kinstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 277865
 
Taxmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle View Post
I'm not sure how much power it puts out, but it can't possibly be more than 120W. The original B&O sub has no useful markings on it other than 8Ω.
Does this upgrade without an amp really make that big of a difference then? Do the subs actually hit or just create a better bass fill sound?
Taxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
AudiWorld Uber User
Account #: 1158
 
Bobby Kinstle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 37,196
Default

The sub only upgrade significantly tightens the bass, and extends the bottom end from ~50hz to 28Hz. There is a slight volume increase that will get better over a couple months as it breaks in. After break in I'd say the bass is at least 6dB better.

If you want it to pound out bass you can hear the next car over, you will need a amp.
__________________
Bobby Kinstle

| 2013 S4 P+ | Moonlight Blue | Black&Silver Alcantara | Flappy Paddle Gearbox | Sport Diff | ADS | Google Nav | B&O | CF | Wireless Key | SC Badges |
Bobby Kinstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #13
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 277865
 
Taxmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle View Post
The sub only upgrade significantly tightens the bass, and extends the bottom end from ~50hz to 28Hz. There is a slight volume increase that will get better over a couple months as it breaks in. After break in I'd say the bass is at least 6dB better.

If you want it to pound out bass you can hear the next car over, you will need a amp.
I think I'll try the swap first and if I'm unhappy, I'll go for the amp. If I choose the amp route eventually, I hope that it hides away like the one installation had shown.

As far as subs, I'm looking at a few infinite baffle options - the Pioneer that had already been suggested and an Image Dynamics IDQ.
Taxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #14
AudiWorld Uber User
Account #: 1158
 
Bobby Kinstle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 37,196
Default

Some folks have been able to find amps small enough to fit in the equipment box above the B&O amp. That would make it completely invisible when the fabric door panel is closed.
__________________
Bobby Kinstle

| 2013 S4 P+ | Moonlight Blue | Black&Silver Alcantara | Flappy Paddle Gearbox | Sport Diff | ADS | Google Nav | B&O | CF | Wireless Key | SC Badges |
Bobby Kinstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #15
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 277865
 
Taxmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle View Post
Some folks have been able to find amps small enough to fit in the equipment box above the B&O amp. That would make it completely invisible when the fabric door panel is closed.
Could you by chance upload a picture of the finished installation from the top view? I'm curious to see how the woofer protrudes from the deck and how the dynamat is hidden away.

Also - did you remove all the plastic structure when you installed this woofer? I'm wondering if you did woofer + new drill holes in body or did some baffle in between the mounting ring and the metal surface.
Taxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #16
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 267855
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10
Default

Go out to your car and look in the back window....

It looks completely stock when all is put back together and you are unable to see that a mod has been done. From the inside the larger Sub hangs down quite a bit more but as said previously the sound and bass quality is much better than before.
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #17
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 277865
 
Taxmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser View Post
Go out to your car and look in the back window....

It looks completely stock when all is put back together and you are unable to see that a mod has been done. From the inside the larger Sub hangs down quite a bit more but as said previously the sound and bass quality is much better than before.
Hello Difuser,

I would gladly do that if I had the car. As noted in be signature, I haven't taken delivery of it yet. For this reason, I asked for a few extra pictures and details so I can better understand what I'm getting into.
Taxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #18
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 267855
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10
Default

Sorry if it came off as rude. It looks absolutely stock. From inside or outside you cannot see that there is anything different with the car.

It does not protrude from the top deck and no dynamat is visible. I'd take a pic of mine but the rear window tint would hide any details you are looking for.

Last edited by Difuser; 06-02-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #19
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 277865
 
Taxmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser View Post
Sorry if it came off as rude. It looks absolutely stock. From inside or outside you cannot see that there is anything different with the car.

It does not protrude from the top deck and no dynamat is visible.
No worries, you just jumped to the conclusion that I am lazy that's all lol and I'm far from! No worries though honestly.

So is the speaker cone/surround covered up by something? It was my understanding that the stock woofer faces the trunk whereas this arrangement positions the woofer towards the cabin.

This is why a picture of the finished result would help!
Taxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #20
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 267855
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10
Default

The rear parcel shelf has a molded cover along with 2 grilles that dress out the interior.

If you look in the original thread for the swap you can see their removal. All in all I did my swap in about 1 hour. My wife noticed the diff when we bought her A5 that had the B&O and hers did not have the bass response mine does.
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join AudiWorld

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community