S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Trading in 08 A4 for 10 S4... Could Use Input From The Pros

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading in 08 A4 for 10 S4... Could Use Input From The Pros

Hello Guys,

So I've found my self in a position to upgrade my car a bit sooner than I had expected!! I bought a 2008 A4 2.0T that is pretty much loaded (adaptive headlights, Bose audio, forgetting the rest) in August outright so there is currently no loan on the car. I started a new job in August so I've been salaried since then and am looking forward to my 6 month review next week - hopefully with a bit of a raise! WOOT !

Anyway, I've come across a 2010 S4 Prestige (Used 2010 Audi S4 for Sale in Spring Lake Park MN 55432 Perfect 10 Auto ) and I've been telling myself that after the MN winter thaws that I will upgrade to an S4. I absolutely love my A4, my complaints are very minor aside from the engine chain thing needing to be replaced three weeks after I bought it for over $2,000!

I've driven a 2014 loaded S4 at the dealership and loved the ability to change the steering and dampening on the fly - but I highly doubt I will have those options on a 2010. I also know the 2010 is the first B8 S4 model year, which makes me a bit nervous.

I will of course get a copy of the Carfax when I go test drive it tomorrow, but what else should I be looking for? I've read the only problem reported consistantly is the water pump and the __________ pump needing replacement. I will see if that has been done. I did say I would only get a CPO, but this seems like a pretty solid deal if I can get the price down a few thousand. It has been on their lot since early December so hopefully they will wiggle. They also have this A4 for sale which is essentially my car, one model year older, with less options.... So I'm hoping I can use that to get my trade-in valuation higher. This brings me to my next option.

Since I own this car outright, should I finance the entire amount of the S4 and then try to sell the A4 private party? I guess this will depend on if the place wants to buy it and what their offer is. I am in the process of fixing some credit mistakes I made in college (2008) so my score is really terrible (under 550) so I don't think getting something directly from Audi will be an option... And I know I'm going to be paying a ridiculously high interest rate, which is why I'm leaning towards trading in my A4, throwing in a few thousand more, and financing $10,000 to $15,000 over 5 or 6 years. I also want to look into the pre-payment fee (if any) as I would make it a personal goal to pay it off within 18 months and once again be the outright owner, but god forbid I loose my job or something I want to have the long term loan setup so I can pay a lower monthly payment if need be.

Does anyone know have a copy of the standard feature list on the 2010 S4? I can't track one down anywhere! And then maybe a list of the features added by the Prestige designation? There isn't a whole lot of specific information on their site so I want to be as prepared as possible.

Any input on the price? A more fair, target to reach for?

Is there any major issue with the 2010 B8 S4's that I should be aware of or any reason I should run for the hills?

The reason I'm okay with the higher interest is because I need to take a loan on something collateralized to start building my credit while I wait to hear back from some collection agency that ran up 9 collections with a grand total of under $4,000... I really just want to pay it but I've been told to go a different route and go for a 'Pay For Delete' but that is a topic for a different forum!!

Thank you so much guys, you were quite helpful in my previous purchase decision!!

Best,

Rex
Old 01-15-2015, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Rex, welcome aboard. Given your history, are you absolutely certain you want to purchase another Audi with no warranty?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:27 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, join a credit union. Usally takes opening a $10 savings account. They will offer you cheaper finacing without looking as closely at your credit scores. The water pumps have all failed already and been replaced. Don't sweat that. The Adaptive suspension(which includes the Sport dif) was available in 2010. The Sport dif, which is also available as a stand alone option is THE option that makes this car special. So make sure the car you get had either the adaptive suspension or the sport dif. Carfax is good to have but not always accurate. Look at the options that are available on a 2015. Not much different than in 2010. SS trim no longer available and was replaced with layered wood. Different wheels on the Black optics package that was not always available in every model year. Otherwise, you will find very little difference in the options. What you may find is that there will be differences in the standard features. With each succesiive model yr, Audi made certain features standrad that previously were either not available or optional. Also be aware that a Prem+ and a Prestige can have exactly the same options and features, EXCEPT, Prestige has upgraded headlights which no one seems to think is a big deal. You can probaly get a 2010 under $30k depending on mileage and condition, Also, do not buy an s4 without buying an extended warranty. German cars are not the most relaiable and are expensive to repair whan they break. Good luck on your search and also consider a 2011 model.

Last edited by DrGP; 01-15-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the current market place it's going to be really hard to find a loan with that credit score. A credit union or bank will not give you a loan with a score that low. Your best bet will actually be with the dealer. They are willing to take a little more risk because you're actually buying the product from them (and they get a kick-back on financing.) I had a friend trying to finance a car with a score in the 620s. His main bank (where he had just paid off a car loan) and his credit union both rejected him. He ended up with a 7% loan that the dealer set up.