S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

B5 Turn Signal Relay Mod - Hyperflash fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM
MCL
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B5 Turn Signal Relay Mod - Hyperflash fix

All,

Has anyone done a relay fix (DIY/otherwise) for the hyperblink / hyperflash LED turn signal issue? I keep hearing - BUY the 'load resistor' included LED's - but no joy - can't find any 3157's that actually work, several purchases later - so that's not really an option - unless someone has first hand experience - versus, 'a friend of a friend, of a friend...'

I have the Amber 3157's for the front turn signal, have filed away the socket plastic to have correct fit, however, I still have the fast blinking, even with load resistors. I have done the tail lights, and side-markers with LEDs and LR's - no issues - but the front's seem to illude (sp?) my capabilities.

THEORETICALLY, I should be able to mod the turn-signal/hazard relay to take care of it - I've heard it mentioned that cutting a metal shunt/connector will fix my issue - but now I can't seem to find the thread.

I've disassembled the relay, know that one relay is the turn-signal side, the other is the hazard side - curiously enough, the hazards don't hyper-blink - JUST the TURN SIGNALS. I know which is which - no problem there - looking at the relay from the driver seat orientation, left side is turn-signal relay, right side is hazard relay.

SO, some threads from other boards (other cars/etc) suggest cutting the lead, some suggest wiring several resistors in parallel to make the resistance approximate. Has anyone done this successfully? And if so, how - cut the metal U/W shape physical resistor thing next to the relay, wire another resistor in parallel with it, or wire a resistor onto the bottom of the board, or into the connector contacts?

Also, if I'm mistaken, and that 'metal shunt' isn't what I'm supposing above, what is it for? Why there? Can I use it for something?

Thanks!
-Edwin
Old 10-31-2013, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?