S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Car Still Spuddering

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn O2's didn't work either...

Originally Posted by EuroXS4
Is it possible the misfire on 5 and 6 is due to a head gasket????Whats the leak down on the cylinders???

FYI on cars the have icms the icms usually fail not the coils.If you have the push on coils like later s4 those normally fail.Bolt down coils harly ever fail its usually the icms.

As far as your cat faults go those are probably due to the misfires and all that fuel being dumped into the cat.Be careful you might damage the cat driving the car with misfires.Possible damage the engine.A dead mis on any cylinder could be catastrophiv if you keep driving it.
True, but it's not a dead misfire, it's live. you don't ever feel it, nor while driving.. power ALLLLL the way through. Never coughs. Literally.. It's like the car loves it when I touch her, so she acts up so that I'll be all over it trying to diagnose and fix it. hahahahah

As for the leakdown and head gasket... Good call, Haven't done a leak down test yet. But have done compression.. that should've shown an indication of leakage. Right? Like I said before, all cylinders where extremely high in compression. Shocking to be honest, for the amount of mileage and being turbo charged. I'll have to do a leakdown test this weekend on top of fuel injector swap.

I don't really trust those Injector cleaners, I did it once in my honda, it actually ran worse for the duration of the fuild in my tank. The can got back to normal after it wore out. Man never again. Oh ya.. it didn't solve the problem I had hoped it would.

Another thought on the head gasket part... the car would show serious issues if it were a head gasket leak, even just idling. I'm extremely **** and meticulous when it comes to my engines, I pick up a new sound instantly. My dad's always making fun of me when I would notice my '68 VW Bug slightly out of tune... or a new ping or rattle to the car if something was loose.

Actually my dads lil hyundai just blew a head gasket.. couldn't figure out what was wrong, why the lack of power.. and bad running. this weekend we torn it down, turns out cyl 3 and 4 right in between the cylinders had a 3/4 inch section missing. Hence why it wouldn't build compression during the test.

Any other thoughts? Sorry I don't mean to shoot ya down. I know your trying to help, and totally appreciate it.

Chris
Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thats quite alright I was just suggesting it.I thought you had a constant misfire.If you had blown gasket youd have some white smoke coming out form the exhaust and no power and misfires as well like on the hyundai.So I dont think thats the issue on your s.Id have to go with possibly a injector.However I havent seen many fail.Maybe get clogged and restricted that could cause a misfire.Only other thing that I can possibly see if the fuel pressure was dropping or not holding steady but then you would have misfires across the board on all cylinders.If you have checked the plugs and coils and they checked out fine as did the icms.Then injectors are the only thing that left to be honest.

Originally Posted by Chris's S4
True, but it's not a dead misfire, it's live. you don't ever feel it, nor while driving.. power ALLLLL the way through. Never coughs. Literally.. It's like the car loves it when I touch her, so she acts up so that I'll be all over it trying to diagnose and fix it. hahahahah

As for the leakdown and head gasket... Good call, Haven't done a leak down test yet. But have done compression.. that should've shown an indication of leakage. Right? Like I said before, all cylinders where extremely high in compression. Shocking to be honest, for the amount of mileage and being turbo charged. I'll have to do a leakdown test this weekend on top of fuel injector swap.

I don't really trust those Injector cleaners, I did it once in my honda, it actually ran worse for the duration of the fuild in my tank. The can got back to normal after it wore out. Man never again. Oh ya.. it didn't solve the problem I had hoped it would.

Another thought on the head gasket part... the car would show serious issues if it were a head gasket leak, even just idling. I'm extremely **** and meticulous when it comes to my engines, I pick up a new sound instantly. My dad's always making fun of me when I would notice my '68 VW Bug slightly out of tune... or a new ping or rattle to the car if something was loose.

Actually my dads lil hyundai just blew a head gasket.. couldn't figure out what was wrong, why the lack of power.. and bad running. this weekend we torn it down, turns out cyl 3 and 4 right in between the cylinders had a 3/4 inch section missing. Hence why it wouldn't build compression during the test.

Any other thoughts? Sorry I don't mean to shoot ya down. I know your trying to help, and totally appreciate it.

Chris
Old 06-02-2011, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OK, SO I REPLACED ONE OF THE ICM'S AND THE CAR APPEARS TO BE RUNNING WELL, HOWEVER RUNNING THE MagCom it shows that I occasionionally get missfires in cylinders 4&5. But its not consistent. Could it be the other icm?

Originally Posted by Chris's S4
Use your vag com and go into engine, then into multiple block/read/scan. Can't remember what it says right now, but it's under Fauld code button on the left side.

Click that, then there will be three "go to" type areas. In the first one, go to block 014 click goto, then the second 015 click go to again and the third 016 and do the same. This will give you from the top, the overall amount of misfires to the right and whether it's enabled or disabled. Then the second one down will show the first bank of cylinders 1-3, the third one down will show you the second bank of cylinders 4-6. Under each cylinder, it'll count how many misfires put cycle. I believe a cycle runs every 30 seconds... (correct me if I'm wrong, thx). That was what I was talking about earlier about where I counted so many misfires.

I'm curious again... is it running on all cylinders? Has there been any work done recently? Spittin and spuddering got me thinking... maybe something got unplug, like an injector, or a coil... what about running out of gas, have you done that or been really low on fuel recently? or many times before?

Good luck bro
Chris
Old 06-02-2011, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default well...

Originally Posted by RJQuick
OK, SO I REPLACED ONE OF THE ICM'S AND THE CAR APPEARS TO BE RUNNING WELL, HOWEVER RUNNING THE MagCom it shows that I occasionionally get missfires in cylinders 4&5. But its not consistent. Could it be the other icm?
That's great it's running better... as for the misfires.. ur in my boat too. depending on which icm you changed... would say if it could be the ICM. Now that's to say the new icm isn't broken already. But here's the thing.. as the dealer shop foreman told me.. it really could be alot of things. Could be an air leak in between your cylinders 4 and 5, could be compression, could be valves, could be a bad fuel injector, could the harness to the fuel injector, could be the spark plug being at the wrong gap, could be a coil... very unlikely thou. He said both the icm and coils being solid state circuits, they either work, or they don't. there is no slightly bad day good day type of syndrome with these systems. Apparently.... I think it could. But hey they are supposed to know better about their systems than myself.

could also be a bad 02 sensor... But your not getting crazy misfires, so chances of that are a lil slim. But just keep it in mind. Food for thought.

As for me, I still get a slight misfire in 6, sometimes in 5 also. I've done compression and literally almost fell on my a$$ cuz the pressure was so great. So I gotta do a fuel injector swap and see if that will help. Maybe we're lucky and our injectors are just plugged.. I have ran my tank down fairly low, not sure if you've done that recently. But could be thats the whole issue.

wish I had time this weekend for the fuel injector swap, but with my b-day dinner thingy my lovely sister is doing for me and with riding on saturday... I won't have time to do it all. I am however gonna attempt so do and finish.. mind u... a shifter rod ball socket replacement... Without lowering the trans and sub-frame.... hahah Most of you are thinking well how the hell is he gonna do that. Well it's well planned out. Man I can't wait to have slop-free shifting! WOOOO!!!

Good luck bro, let me knw if ya need anything.
Chris
Old 06-02-2011, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

As Chris has stated it could be alot of things.If the misfires are occasional I would look at the valves maybe carbon on the valves??Could cause misfires,but i dont believe our cars have a issue with carbon because the injectors sits right above the vlaves and wash off them off.but possible.Also check what faults you have.and a leak down test and compression test could help you narrow down the problem.If misfires are on cyl4 and 5 it almost sounds to me like it could be a broken gaskets or something.Not 100% sure.Just make sure to do all the tests to see if you can figure out the culprit.Best of luck.
Originally Posted by RJQuick