S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Clutch job is done ---I am so tired

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch job is done ---I am so tired

well, I finished my clutch job today and my car shifts a lot better . I am not sure if it's the new RS4 clutch or the DTS but it's different for sure .
I would like to thank Josh and Auchtuning and all the S4 owners on here that helped me out .
I would only suggest this as a dyi if you have a lift and lots of special tools . I had the full range of tools as I used the auto hobby shop on the miltiary base .
I will add it took me 3 Friday , Saturdays and Sunday to get it done but I had to wait for parts or figure out what needed to get removed next . In the end I think it's still better than paying the dealer 2300.00
Now I need to figure out what that valve that broke is ...arrg
Old 04-10-2005, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dang.... do they charge you? did you leave it there the whole 3 weeks?

on the lift at base or what? my cousin is a jag at miramar and said for me to come work on my car sometime and check it out, I hear its bombdiggidy
Old 12-29-2009, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

My clutch is near its end and I am thinking about going with the RS4 clutch. Does it feel much different than the stock clutch? (Pedal pressure, engagement/grip?) My car also seems to have some slop in the drivetrain...when I get off and on the gas, the car seems to have some slack between the gears being in position to accelerate, and the gears being in position to decelerate. (hope this makes sense) I am wondering if replacing the clutch will help this issue at all.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Clutch won't fix the slop. The slops from the drivetrain, mainly driveshaft and rear diff mounts.

I went with Vast's Stg3 clutch and their LWFW. Defintely get their LWFW - noticeable faster when accelerating.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the LWFW's and it sounded like they can cause a lot of engine chatter due to the reduced rotating mass....this is my daily driver, so I want to keep it pretty smooth (althoguh reduced rev times would be nice). With the LWFW have you noticed increated chatter? Does the car seem just as smooth as before?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by datsun2k
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the LWFW's and it sounded like they can cause a lot of engine chatter due to the reduced rotating mass....this is my daily driver, so I want to keep it pretty smooth (althoguh reduced rev times would be nice). With the LWFW have you noticed increated chatter? Does the car seem just as smooth as before?
No there is some chatter since its aluminum, but you'll learn quickly to change your driving habits. Basically, you just can't be lazy. When you start out, just keep the revs up another 200-300rpm more than usual and let the clutch out fairly quickly (not so fast that it jerks you around).

The only thing I've really noticed is that i can hear the drive train "ringing" when I'm pulled up to a drive thru with the car in neutral and the clutch is out. For me, I just have to turn off the AC compressor and everything is fine. I also removed the clutch fan and added ECS lightened pulleys so there significantly less rotating mass on the engine as well.

All in all, definitely worth it.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by datsun2k

I personally havent noticed any chatter w/ my Vast LWFW/Stg.3 clutch setup. However I only have put 70 miles on it since we installed it. Been doing lots of stop and go driving and havent notice one bit of chatter or rough engagemant. Feels perfect. Pedal feel is great and so is the grab. Revs are very peppy and responsive as well.