S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

DIY intercooler Misters/Sprayers! *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY intercooler Misters/Sprayers! *PICS*

Like the idea of cooler intake temps even when your intercoolers are not doing anything at times like in slow traffic, or for cooling down after you just blew by all the traffic going oh around 100mph? Well here is a little intercooler kit I made up for my 2.7 using things i found at my local o'reilly auto parts store....

what you need:
1)universal coolant tank is what i used but your factory windshield washer tank will also work
2)windshield washer nozzle kit from dorman
3)windshield washer hosing
4)a "tee" connector
5)a windshield washer pump (I used my stock one, but if you would like to keep your windshield wipers get a second one)

Old 05-25-2011, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default um...

Originally Posted by speed/efficiency
Like the idea of cooler intake temps even when your intercoolers are not doing anything at times like in slow traffic, or for cooling down after you just blew by all the traffic going oh around 100mph? Well here is a little intercooler kit I made up for my 2.7 using things i found at my local o'reilly auto parts store....

what you need:
1)universal coolant tank is what i used but your factory windshield washer tank will also work
2)windshield washer nozzle kit from dorman
3)windshield washer hosing
4)a "tee" connector
5)a windshield washer pump (I used my stock one, but if you would like to keep your windshield wipers get a second one)

I don't see any pics.... but inside the reply area, I see the html of the pics... but still no pics on the thread. odd.... I'm curious to see how this works!!! lol I've seen others but not to excited about the setup. Plus overall results. I do have an idea on a seriously cold intake system.. thou it involves running something that robs a slight bit of hp. In which case, most no one wants to do that. So Chances of it actually going anywhere are slim to none. Aside for me, I'd do it to test. lol Always, natually.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get water/meth injection and call it a day!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by speed/efficiency
I have an IC mister and it doesn't perform anywhere near the claims made for these things. W/M injection is a better system.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default hmm

Originally Posted by Flyboy
I have an IC mister and it doesn't perform anywhere near the claims made for these things. W/M injection is a better system.
To be quite honest, I wouldn't bother with either one of them. Two reasons... One, you get a bunch of **** on your windshield going on a decent trip, ya can't wipe it off cuz you haven't got the windshield wiper sprayers w/fluid anymore. Two, I'd rather have all motor and turbo, than to have to rely on water/meth to provide me the hp I want, and... only for a given amount of time before you run of water/meth mix.

oh and a few other things... if your either too worried or tired of lacking hp cuz stuck in traffic. Don't drive the car. If your stuck in traffic for a long period of time, well then you shouldn't be driving anyways. Learn to take side streets if need be. If "your" car is getting HOT... cuz your in traffic, there's something wrong. IC sprayers aren't the solution, nor using this system is even remotely a solution. It's a simple way to keep hp while your GOING 5MPH!!!!!! Uh does any one else here see the problem... hmm... I could care less if the IAT is raising cuz it's warm out and there's traffic. As soon as it clears, which usually isn't very long anyways, the car will normalize just fine on it's own. Hence this nifty little device called a.. a what.. a Radiator... Intercooler radiates heat once it picks up speed... Look at that.. Impressive huh. I know. I was BLOWN away by that awesome invention. lol, and those who apparently need INSTANT HP the moment traffic clears up a bit... Shouldn't drive their car if it's to hot for them to be happy.

Now that's just my .02 and my random venting. No direct comments or offense to anyone here, clearly.

And mind I say all this simply cuz I do know. My buddy who has had this car for the past five yrs, and of which I've been working on. Has never had an issue with lacking hp or at least enough to not be satisfied due to high IAT. Mind you, he's has all fans removed from the car and still was performing amazing well, even in traffic. Yes it got warm.. never hot, but safely warm. Sitting in traffic at 103 degree summers can raise temps no doubt. He never had any issues with lacking so much hp that he could ever notice. Don't ask why he had no fans on... there was a reason and I don't remember now. I think it may have been the fan controller, but not sure on that. Also he never had the clutch fan as it never came with the car when he bought it. Again don't ask why. lol

So hopefully no one gets offended by this randomness. I'm seriously looking forward to this yrs summer. Curious to see how the S4 will perform and react in these higher temps. I do know running the tune, the temps get alil warmer, but only when I'm on it fully. Normal driving and even gettin on it with short bursts, it still doesn't get above normal reading. So we'll see how summer turns out. That's is aside from gas prices... head they'll hit over 6 bucks this summer.... Won't be drivin the S4 much at all... if that in fact is the case.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris's S4
To be quite honest, I wouldn't bother with either one of them. Two reasons... One, you get a bunch of **** on your windshield going on a decent trip, ya can't wipe it off cuz you haven't got the windshield wiper sprayers w/fluid anymore. Two, I'd rather have all motor and turbo, than to have to rely on water/meth to provide me the hp I want, and... only for a given amount of time before you run of water/meth mix.

oh and a few other things... if your either too worried or tired of lacking hp cuz stuck in traffic. Don't drive the car. If your stuck in traffic for a long period of time, well then you shouldn't be driving anyways. Learn to take side streets if need be. If "your" car is getting HOT... cuz your in traffic, there's something wrong. IC sprayers aren't the solution, nor using this system is even remotely a solution. It's a simple way to keep hp while your GOING 5MPH!!!!!! Uh does any one else here see the problem... hmm... I could care less if the IAT is raising cuz it's warm out and there's traffic. As soon as it clears, which usually isn't very long anyways, the car will normalize just fine on it's own. Hence this nifty little device called a.. a what.. a Radiator... Intercooler radiates heat once it picks up speed... Look at that.. Impressive huh. I know. I was BLOWN away by that awesome invention. lol, and those who apparently need INSTANT HP the moment traffic clears up a bit... Shouldn't drive their car if it's to hot for them to be happy.

Now that's just my .02 and my random venting. No direct comments or offense to anyone here, clearly.

And mind I say all this simply cuz I do know. My buddy who has had this car for the past five yrs, and of which I've been working on. Has never had an issue with lacking hp or at least enough to not be satisfied due to high IAT. Mind you, he's has all fans removed from the car and still was performing amazing well, even in traffic. Yes it got warm.. never hot, but safely warm. Sitting in traffic at 103 degree summers can raise temps no doubt. He never had any issues with lacking so much hp that he could ever notice. Don't ask why he had no fans on... there was a reason and I don't remember now. I think it may have been the fan controller, but not sure on that. Also he never had the clutch fan as it never came with the car when he bought it. Again don't ask why. lol

So hopefully no one gets offended by this randomness. I'm seriously looking forward to this yrs summer. Curious to see how the S4 will perform and react in these higher temps. I do know running the tune, the temps get alil warmer, but only when I'm on it fully. Normal driving and even gettin on it with short bursts, it still doesn't get above normal reading. So we'll see how summer turns out. That's is aside from gas prices... head they'll hit over 6 bucks this summer.... Won't be drivin the S4 much at all... if that in fact is the case.
not sure if you realize this, but cold temperature rated washer fluid IS water and methanol. thats it. here in canada, the most common wiper fluid is the blue stuff rated to -35. it is about a 60/40 blend of water/meth. so you can still use your wiper fluid as normal. if you are using your wiper fluid reservoir for the water meth, most guys say it lasts them about as long as one or two tanks of gas, so you are not filling it all the time. if you get a 2.5 gallon tank mounted in the trunk, it would likely last you all summer. and, water meth also has the beautiful effects of octane boost, AND since you can lean out your AFR, your car will be more efficient. what you are saying, makes it sound like you are one of the "all motor" boys, who hate turbochargers because it is "cheating". water meth is a great technology, and when dialed in properly, will enable you to wring an extra 30-40hp out of your car, as well as about 50 more tq. still, maybe it is not for everyone, but i think it is one of the best mods a guy can do to a turbo car. cheap and effective.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Chris's S4

And mind I say all this simply cuz I do know.
Both systems can function alongside the windshield washer, so there isn't any loss of that functionality.

Water/methanol injection is a cost effective way to add some decent HP. What "all motor and turbo" modification are you thinking of that is going to net 30-40 whp and maintain responsiveness while costing under $700. Driving style obviously impacts the rate at which the injected fluid is consumed. I can easily go a month without using up the washer fluid reservoir.

Your preference may be something else, but water injection is a good option for a lot of people.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default true

Originally Posted by Flyboy
Both systems can function alongside the windshield washer, so there isn't any loss of that functionality.

Water/methanol injection is a cost effective way to add some decent HP. What "all motor and turbo" modification are you thinking of that is going to net 30-40 whp and maintain responsiveness while costing under $700. Driving style obviously impacts the rate at which the injected fluid is consumed. I can easily go a month without using up the washer fluid reservoir.

Your preference may be something else, but water injection is a good option for a lot of people.
All motor and turbo's, meaning heads, cams, and turbos. But as you said, for a mere 30-40 jump in whp under 700 bucks. That's the way to go.

How do you like the tial 605's? That's what I have in mind. Little over 600 hp sounds about fun.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

They were a very nice turbo setup. I had a stock engine and found them a little less responsive than I cared for, so I'm going with the FrankenTurbo's. The 605's without W/M injection take a big hit in the summer, much more so than K04's.