S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Miss while at constant speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by normohl
Well I drove it today and it was missing from the get go, I put some dielectric grease under the sensors and still the same problems. So I have no idea.

How much would it cost to take it into somewhere to tell me whats wrong with it?
probably nothing, or probably a lot. Vag-com is really the only way to go. Check to see what's going on, and see if you can swap the ICM's to see if the misfire jumps to the other bank. Also do the same with the coils, it's tedious, but it's the only way. You could also measure the coils to see if they are still within spec... specs show 2k ohms for coil spark plug connector.

Doesn't say which pin to measure to though. If anyone else has this info, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Chris

oh ya, just ordered my new ICM's should be here monday.

Update: alright so I pulled off my never ending misfiring #6 coil and checked the spark plug "boot" connector and it measured 1956 ohms.. guess i gotta check them all. But this still doesn't explain why Im getting such high misfires. bentley mentions it could be, fuel injector, wiring harness at the coil, or at the fuel injector, also compression. I still wanna know how to check the actual coil itself. Bentley seems to not mention it at all, or i've missed several times.

Last edited by Chris's S4; 05-12-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

again I know how to use the advanced measuring blocks but I don't know which ones to look at.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

again I know how to use the advanced measuring blocks but I don't know which ones to look at.
blocks
014- shows over all misfires and other info
015- shows bank 1, cylinders 1-3 misfires
016- shows bank 2, cylinders 4-6 misfires
Old 05-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chris's S4
blocks
014- shows over all misfires and other info
015- shows bank 1, cylinders 1-3 misfires
016- shows bank 2, cylinders 4-6 misfires
haha I know that, I have been posting where the misfires are but no one has said anything about things that I could graph or voltages I could look at or symptoms of bad sensors or anything to the matter. That's more of what I am looking for, I can vag-com the car at anytime and post anything anyone would think would be helpful to diagnosing the problem.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

haha I know that, I have been posting where the misfires are but no one has said anything about things that I could graph or voltages I could look at or symptoms of bad sensors or anything to the matter. That's more of what I am looking for, I can vag-com the car at anytime and post anything anyone would think would be helpful to diagnosing the problem.
ah alright then, didn't know that you knew that. Anyways, I've been thinking more and more, since that reading of 1956ohms of my spark plug boot connector. It makes me think that maybe the coil isn't bad, but the injector maybe the culprit. If it can't keep up with the new tune, it stumbles more and more frequently, thus giving me significantly more misfires while in chip mode as appose to being in stock mode.

what do you guys think?

I gotta start swapping coils starting with 6 and see how it goes, then do the same with each injector. It's the only way I'll really know.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I dont think mine is an injector problem unless number 2,4,5,6 are all clogged? Because I am getting misfires in all those.

How much would it cost to take it to the dealer for them to tell me whats wrong with it?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I dont think mine is an injector problem unless number 2,4,5,6 are all clogged? Because I am getting misfires in all those.

How much would it cost to take it to the dealer for them to tell me whats wrong with it?
I believe that the reason wy you have a mis on cyl 2 is because of 4,5,6 which means that your car is barely running on 1 bank.I wonder if you may possibly have a clogged cat.I have seen that before but its very rare.It would be at a constant speed and only when hot.But it would do it all the time when it was hot and at a certain speed once it was reached.if you have access to a temperature gun start the car check the readings before the car and after and compare to the other bank.Normally a clogged cat will run alot hotter on the before side.Thats the best thing I can think of to be honest.Again not saying that the issue but possible.are the spark plugs in good shape??and are they the right plugs with the right heat range and gap??

If you got to a audi dealer They will charge you a fee of 1hour for diagnosis.depenging on how much they charge per hour over by me in NJ is $131 an hour but thats on the higher end i dont think there any dealer thats higher than that.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is a rotten egg smell when you give it gas. would that be consistent with a clogged cat, I do have an infrared thermometer.

The miss is all the time though, I did mess with the ICM's switch them around, reapply dielectric grease, and it seemed to help for about 10 miles or so and the it would miss again, but it only did that the first two times driving after messing with the ICM's.

If it took the dealership 3 minutes or 3 hours they would only charge me for one hour to tell me whats wrong with it?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

No normally they charge either a half hour or an hour for diagnosis to start with.If it gets involved you have to authorize additional time.You can always go and see if they will be able to try to diag it in a half hour.Maybe,maybe not.An hour seems to be the norm.Sometimes additional if its a involved or complicated problem and they have to troubleshoot extensive systems and components.