S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Vacuum leak-- Brake Booster hose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum leak-- Brake Booster hose?

There's a hose at the back of the engine which goes into the firewall (between the battery and ECU) and it keeps popping off. It's got a couple curves in it and the side which connects to the engine looks like a snake's head-- angled head with two orange/red valves.

The connection isn't secure at all; I push it back into place but it doesn't lock and pops right off again. It's secured into place with painter's tape right now; very ghetto.

Anyone know what hose this is? Is it the brake booster hose? Is there a way to secure the connection? It seems like it would twist and lock into place but it doesn't work on mine. I get one side to connect but then the other pops off.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes, Brake Booster hose. put a clamp or tie wrap on it!

You should notice that braking takes a LOT MORE effort when that hose is off.

At least if were are talking about the same hose!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clinton c
You should notice that braking takes a LOT MORE effort when that hose is off.

At least if were are talking about the same hose!
I've had the fortune of it not popping off while driving; it's occurred when the car is parked so I haven't really noticed a difference in braking.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've looked in my engine compartment and I couldn't find a hose with these red valves...Is it in the same compartment with the battery and ecu (behind the firewall) or in the main engine compartment? Think you could post a pic?

You could get some of the small hose clamps at an autoparts store - that should take care of the issue permanently.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by donromani
I've looked in my engine compartment and I couldn't find a hose with these red valves...Is it in the same compartment with the battery and ecu (behind the firewall) or in the main engine compartment? Think you could post a pic?

You could get some of the small hose clamps at an autoparts store - that should take care of the issue permanently.
The red valves are only evident when the hose is disconnected like mine is-- the valves are inside the hose.

It's in the main engine bay but connects to the firewall. It's short (about 6 inches) and very thin (I'd guess .25" thick). I'm pretty sure it's the brake booster hose.

Yeah, now I'm thinking about clamps or zip ties to fix it.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

1/4". You could try useing a fuel light clamp.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default ive noticed the same thing

When i went to go change the 02 sensor on the passenger side not to far from the egt sensor i had to remove the accordion tube intake looking thing and seemed to break the fitment of the hose to the tube from the brake booster vacuum hose

now the hose hangs loose ... air seems to be sucked in while i had the car on i ran my finger over it ...
do i have to get a new accordion tube thing or can i just tape it close on the tube thing and put a breather filter on the vacuum tube end of that. i have notice braking seems to be just a little softer but i figured it was from brakes wearing out..

any advice will help or info
Attached Images