S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

What would be involved with doing a 1.8T swap into a B5 S4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Then I guess the wife did ok

Its good to know there is 'value' in a dead S4... My wife picked one up (runs fine) - I didn't even look at it before she paid for it. Whatever she wants.... its getting a good look over now - up on stands - fluids, belts, tires...the S4 was not even on my radar, I kinda like it so far.

P e a c e
KYC
Old 12-16-2009, 11:35 AM
B56
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that to convert a 1.8 to V6 you need to change the subframe, So i would assume you would need to switch the subframe to hold the 1.8.

The late model b6's with 1.8's came with the 6 speed. Pretty sure it was an 01E trans too, same as s4. probably had different gears. However that was on an AMB 1.8L block and I believe the AMB blocks were different than AEB and ATW style blocks so that might be why they were able to bolt it up to the 01E.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok so yeah it may be a little goofy to put a 1.8T into an S4 - but it's not like S4s are rare and collectible. But for the sake of conversation it sounds like you have a lead on an S4 with a blown motor. The cool thing about putting a 1.8T in there would be you get all the cool S4 stuff - bigger brakes, front valence, skirts, nicer interior, etc, etc and a generally more solid feeling car (I don't know what it is but my S4 has more solid build feel compared to my old '98 A4 1.8Tq w/ sport everything) - and then you put in a lighter engine - with a turbo upgrade and such you can get to Stage 2 S4 power without huge difficulty. Lighter car = better handling and braking. Could be cool IMO. Find a salvage A4/Passat that got hit in back.

Sorry I don't have knowledge to help out but seeing as how all these computers seem to link together - keeping factory engine management could be tough - I have no idea.

Brandon
'84 ur-quattro 20Vt
'01 S4
Old 12-17-2009, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bcr84urq
Ok so yeah it may be a little goofy to put a 1.8T into an S4 - but it's not like S4s are rare and collectible. But for the sake of conversation it sounds like you have a lead on an S4 with a blown motor. The cool thing about putting a 1.8T in there would be you get all the cool S4 stuff - bigger brakes, front valence, skirts, nicer interior, etc, etc and a generally more solid feeling car (I don't know what it is but my S4 has more solid build feel compared to my old '98 A4 1.8Tq w/ sport everything) - and then you put in a lighter engine - with a turbo upgrade and such you can get to Stage 2 S4 power without huge difficulty. Lighter car = better handling and braking. Could be cool IMO. Find a salvage A4/Passat that got hit in back.

Sorry I don't have knowledge to help out but seeing as how all these computers seem to link together - keeping factory engine management could be tough - I have no idea.

Brandon
'84 ur-quattro 20Vt
'01 S4
Pics of URQ? IMO it takes so much more effort to get stage 2+ S4 power from the 1.8t that if power is a big factor, I wouldn't be swapping in the 1.8t. I'd only do the 1.8t swap for a chill daily driver, though when I daily drive my B5 S4 compared to my 1.8t, I love the V-6 torque off boost compared to the 4 cylinder.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jibberjive
Pics of URQ? IMO it takes so much more effort to get stage 2+ S4 power from the 1.8t that if power is a big factor, I wouldn't be swapping in the 1.8t. I'd only do the 1.8t swap for a chill daily driver, though when I daily drive my B5 S4 compared to my 1.8t, I love the V-6 torque off boost compared to the 4 cylinder.
Yeah, but the one thing the 1.8t has over the 2.7t is aftermarket. There are dozens of eliminator and big turbo upgrades for the little 1.8, and all kinds of different manifolds, fueling, etc. Also those after market parts are usually quite a bit cheaper.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey jibber -
Pics of my urq in my album - any questions feel free to shoot me a PM or start a thread. As eurocabbage said - there is such a good aftermarket for the 1.8T that with bigger turbos, EM and such - getting to 300 hp is not a huge deal. But yeah it will be high strung compared to the 2.7T. I actually think a stock 2.7T is a better "chill DD" - as the low end torque and smoothness are incredible - so easy to just cruise around. Don't need to work the gears like you would on a 1.8T. IMO both make great DD motors - the 2.7 is just more. But yeah obviously you can make a bigger monster with a 2.7T....

Brandon
'84 ur-quattro 20Vt
'01 S4
Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Beautiful URQ. Yeah, agreed with what you said...

Hey jibber -
Pics of my urq in my album - any questions feel free to shoot me a PM or start a thread. As eurocabbage said - there is such a good aftermarket for the 1.8T that with bigger turbos, EM and such - getting to 300 hp is not a huge deal. But yeah it will be high strung compared to the 2.7T. I actually think a stock 2.7T is a better "chill DD" - as the low end torque and smoothness are incredible - so easy to just cruise around. Don't need to work the gears like you would on a 1.8T. IMO both make great DD motors - the 2.7 is just more. But yeah obviously you can make a bigger monster with a 2.7T....

Brandon
'84 ur-quattro 20Vt
'01 S4
the aftermarket for the B6 is better, and cheaper, but when you have to replace the turbo, fueling etc, to get as much power as just a tune for a 2.7t, the cost is likely more. Also, like you mentioned, the off-boost torque is what does it for me, and I'm just speaking from my own experience because I currently own both an upgraded B6 A4 1.8t and an upgraded B5 S4. They both get around the same gas mileage as well. Can't really go wrong with either of those for a daily driver though (I'm currently DD'ing the 1.8t.)
Old 12-19-2009, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok so yeah it may be a little goofy to put a 1.8T into an S4 - but it's not like S4s are rare and collectible. Do what you want but I would advise against the swap. First and formost, if you're looking to do the swap for financial reasons, you're looking at the wrong car to begin with. Not to mention, the conversion is not gong to be a straight bolt up, nor is it common and well documented, so it wont be cheep. I would antticipate, for the money you waste towards building it out, you probably could have picked up a 2.7 longblock and have a better platform to work with. While there are more parts for 1.8 quantity does not always equate to quality. Also the reward from tuning a larger displacement motor will be better in the long run. None of this is even mentioning the feelings of inadequacy you will have when people want to run you expecting S4 performance and you just can't deliver.

Brandon
'84 ur-quattro 20Vt
'01 S4
I would argue against that. In fact, there was a thread a couple weeks ago that showed how much people wanted and were willing to pay for a clean car.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Indyxtype
I would argue against that. In fact, there was a thread a couple weeks ago that showed how much people wanted and were willing to pay for a clean car.
Link?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Link?
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1637684
This is the one I was thinking about. There have been others, however I cannot find them easily or remember good search critera for them. My only point is that, the B5 has become a bit of a legend and as time goes on, is actually becoming more of a true collector's car.

P.S. Sorry about the messed up quoting in my last post. Did that one from my cell phone and it came out all screwy.