S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Black Optics vs Drivers Assist

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I nearly traded my MY13 for a MY16 and the only reason I didn't is that the car didn't have the Drivers Assist package. The top down camera is one of those things that you don't want to live without once you get used to it. The adaptive cruise control is really handy (you have to dial the follow distance down to the minimum), if you use your car anywhere outside of heavy commuter traffic.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have both as well and would go with Black Optics 100X over. I do not drive in crazy traffic, so that may skew my opinion. The only Driver's Assist function I use frequently is the overhead camera. It is the only view I use with backing up or parking.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Driver assist is very useful if you commute in moderate traffic every day. I just set it to 70 and my actual speed will vary from close to zero up to the full seventy on the 10 mile stretch of highway I ride every day.

I would caution that the tech is not bullet proof in my experience. Lane assist is way too conservative. Audi engineers could have had the car stay in the middle of the lane consistently (like Tesla) but chose to judge and warn the driver when they get close to the lane markers. This is because they are very conservative and didn't want drivers doing silly things like reading a book on the way to work.

Top view camera is great for parking but I wouldn't trust it to protect my rims. I still use my mirror to make sure I have sufficient distance. The "top view" is really a computer generated simulation based on the angles of various cameras around the car, and the image is by no means completely clear.

In my opinion pre- sense is good for keeping me alert and warning me when my eyes or mind is drifting and there is a sudden deceleration in front. However, it doesn't behave well when a car in front of you is making a right turn. Since a car turning right essentially slows to zero along its original vector (and relative to your vector) I find the system panics and applies the brakes as I am driving by the car that has just turned right and has cleared the lane. It's extremely annoying and even a bit dangerous since it surprises the person behind you.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by djsiry
Driver assist is very useful if you commute in moderate traffic every day. I just set it to 70 and my actual speed will vary from close to zero up to the full seventy on the 10 mile stretch of highway I ride every day.

I would caution that the tech is not bullet proof in my experience. Lane assist is way too conservative. Audi engineers could have had the car stay in the middle of the lane consistently (like Tesla) but chose to judge and warn the driver when they get close to the lane markers. This is because they are very conservative and didn't want drivers doing silly things like reading a book on the way to work.

Top view camera is great for parking but I wouldn't trust it to protect my rims. I still use my mirror to make sure I have sufficient distance. The "top view" is really a computer generated simulation based on the angles of various cameras around the car, and the image is by no means completely clear.

In my opinion pre- sense is good for keeping me alert and warning me when my eyes or mind is drifting and there is a sudden deceleration in front. However, it doesn't behave well when a car in front of you is making a right turn. Since a car turning right essentially slows to zero along its original vector (and relative to your vector) I find the system panics and applies the brakes as I am driving by the car that has just turned right and has cleared the lane. It's extremely annoying and even a bit dangerous since it surprises the person behind you.

Good info. I agree with you that the "top view" camera is like tough to see and not clear. I would trust it though to protect your rims or front and rear facia. It's most useful for exactly that, you can see the lines in a parking spot real good (make sure your centered) and you can see side curbs, and judge the distance. I've learned stay as far from a curb as possible, so I'll admit I don't know it's like accurate to the millimeter, but its close. My big gripe with the Camera system is that big stupid gray spot in the middle of the rear Parking view, that literally obstructs my view at night. I don't find any trajectory lines useful at all, it's just like screen clutter.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The Active Cruise Control (ACC) is awesome. I occasionally get stuck in stop and go traffic and this feature is worth it. I also like the ability to follow other cars while on the highway using the CC. If it slows too much due to the car in front, I can switch lanes and it comes right back to the speed you set. Get behind another car going slower, and it follows a predetermined distance based on speed behind that car. I liked this feature and would get it again (as it turns out, I am).
Old 04-25-2016, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

I had the same issue when buying mine last week. I wanted Drivers Assist, Black Optic, Sports, 20's, and at LEAST the Bose. Not one had everything...except a black Prestige, and it did t not have the Sports.

Black Optic is super easy to mimic with a good vinyl guy - so i'm having my chrome everywhere "black optic-ized" for about 400.00. And if I don't like it, I can peel it off later.