S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Front Camera - Shattered Lens

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Camera - Shattered Lens

While driving on the highway last week I took a 'magic BB' stone hit on my front parking camera (one in the grill), it did a pretty total job of shattering the lens (although the camera still works file). Audi is saying $1K for a 'lens repair kit' and $3400 for a new camera. Anyone had this problem and have any ideas for a repair at less absurd prices?

Thanks,
Old 07-02-2015, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to your trusted body shop and get a quote.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:06 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Online shows $464 MSRP for the front camera. Night vision camera on the other hand is $2800. But as itdoesitallroad said, check with a trusted body shop.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Check eBay for someone selling C7 parts. There's a few dismantlers that sell common items (headlights, tail lights, calipers, etc.). Ask them if they have a camera. Sometimes they show a picture of the wreak.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Insurance claim?
Old 07-05-2015, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by S6NOVA
While driving on the highway last week I took a 'magic BB' stone hit on my front parking camera (one in the grill), it did a pretty total job of shattering the lens (although the camera still works file). Audi is saying $1K for a 'lens repair kit' and $3400 for a new camera. Anyone had this problem and have any ideas for a repair at less absurd prices?

Thanks,
Wow...another idea would be to go to a different Audi dealership and get a second quote. Those prices you are being quoted sound really high.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Replacing camera

It looks like the grill has to come off of the car to replace the front parking camera. Anyone ever undertaken this, or could point me to someplace that describes the procedure?

Many thanks,
Old 09-21-2015, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S6NOVA
It looks like the grill has to come off of the car to replace the front parking camera. Anyone ever undertaken this, or could point me to someplace that describes the procedure?

Many thanks,
Actually the whole bumper has to come off. You can leave the grill attached to the bumper to remove and replace the camera. The camera swap is easy. But with a new camera you may have to get it aligned at the dealer. I(t is an electronic process for aligmnment. It is not a phyisical alignment of the camera. It will only go in one way.) Mine was going back on the same car, so I didn't have to.

Getting the bumper off isn't bad either once you know how. I tore a plastic clip the first time I took it off because there was one bolt I was not aware of up high that attaches the bumper to the fender at the very front. You need an extension and a socket to get at it. There is an access hole.

Start by putting on jackstands and taking the front wheels off. Makes it easier. Take off belly pan. Easy.

I put a craftsman motorcycle jack under the bumper to support it in place.

Remove front fender liner screws. Look up in there and you will see two( or was it one, I think two) bolts going straight up. perpendicular to the horizontal line between fender and bumper. Remove those. THen there is one way up in there on an angle that that goes through the top vertical section of where fender and bumper join (right under the yellow reflector). Here is a pic of where that last one is (that I didn't know about and tore my plastic bumper)

A number of things to disconnect, plugs etc depending on what you have. If you have night vision there is a hose for windshield washer fluid to get to it on the drivers side. drain tank first or just let it drain from that connection into a container.

Here is a pic from behind. That hanging wire with plug near the rings is the camera wire.

Last edited by thelionsden; 09-21-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thank you

Many, many, many thanks. I appreciate the information.

Originally Posted by thelionsden
Actually the whole bumper has to come off. You can leave the grill attached to the bumper to remove and replace the camera. The camera swap is easy. But with a new camera you may have to get it aligned at the dealer. I(t is an electronic process for aligmnment. It is not a phyisical alignment of the camera. It will only go in one way.) Mine was going back on the same car, so I didn't have to.

Getting the bumper off isn't bad either once you know how. I tore a plastic clip the first time I took it off because there was one bolt I was not aware of up high that attaches the bumper to the fender at the very front. You need an extension and a socket to get at it. There is an access hole.

Start by putting on jackstands and taking the front wheels off. Makes it easier. Take off belly pan. Easy.

I put a craftsman motorcycle jack under the bumper to support it in place.

Remove front fender liner screws. Look up in there and you will see two( or was it one, I think two) bolts going straight up. perpendicular to the horizontal line between fender and bumper. Remove those. THen there is one way up in there on an angle that that goes through the top vertical section of where fender and bumper join (right under the yellow reflector). Here is a pic of where that last one is (that I didn't know about and tore my plastic bumper)

A number of things to disconnect, plugs etc depending on what you have. If you have night vision there is a hose for windshield washer fluid to get to it on the drivers side. drain tank first or just let it drain from that connection into a container.

Here is a pic from behind. That hanging wire with plug near the rings is the camera wire.