S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

NC Quick Pass or Similar toll device

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 02:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Location: Italy - repatriate to FL - eventually North Carolina
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC Quick Pass or Similar toll device

Anyone have experience with using exterior mounted toll transponders on the C7 platform? Just looking for alternatives to a window mount.

Many state and regional (SunPass, EZPass) auto toll collection services have slim window mounted transponders. I have also seen that many have exterior mounted devices. The ones I have read about look for a front license plate holder to align with. Of course, in NC there is not requirement for a front plate so my bumper/grill has no space for that.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If a slim-type EZ pass is acceptable to you (the new ones are half the size of the old ones), then you can order one from NY. No residency requirement, and fully compatible with SC tolls. Free if you link to credit card for auto replenishment.
I live in CT (no tolls), but have a NY EZ pass for travel.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by motorsport_mike
If a slim-type EZ pass is acceptable to you (the new ones are half the size of the old ones), then you can order one from NY. No residency requirement, and fully compatible with SC tolls. Free if you link to credit card for auto replenishment.
I live in CT (no tolls), but have a NY EZ pass for travel.
Thanks! MOving from FL to NC in June. Have FL EPass (not EZPass) - we have 3 cars still registered. EPass not accepted outside FL. So, will close that down and probably do the EZPass as your suggested. Can it be done on-line (probably I bet)?
Old 05-27-2015, 04:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Definitely can do online. I have two passes on my account. I just stick it up behind the rear view mirror. Almost looks cool, haha. Works up and down the east coast. No brainer. Good luck with the move.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by motorsport_mike
Definitely can do online. I have two passes on my account. I just stick it up behind the rear view mirror. Almost looks cool, haha. Works up and down the east coast. No brainer. Good luck with the move.
Thanks! If it works on the Verranzano Narrows, GW and NJTkp I would be in heaven!
Old 05-27-2015, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here in IL they went to the smaller transponders in the past few years. I take it one step further and spray the thing black except for the serial number section. They give us the clear velcro tabs to use and I spray those too. You can barely see the unit in the windshield. Yes, I am a bit ****.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bmcds4
Here in IL they went to the smaller transponders in the past few years. I take it one step further and spray the thing black except for the serial number section. They give us the clear velcro tabs to use and I spray those too. You can barely see the unit in the windshield. Yes, I am a bit ****.
Wow, that sounds stealth! I'm going to have to think about doing that!
And yes, it works throughout NY and Jersey Tpk
Old 05-27-2015, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PA uses EZPass and I just keep the transponder in my console and hold it to the glass when I go through. Nothing on my windows or exterior.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mcqueen
PA uses EZPass and I just keep the transponder in my console and hold it to the glass when I go through. Nothing on my windows or exterior.
That's what we did in FL too for Epass. However, in NC they are building a new system along the road that isn't like a recognizable "toll platform". It's designed to collect data at highway speeds even for cars without a transponder. It might be a little more work to be ready to hold the thing up to the window when there isn't a toll plaza there.

I guess over time we would know where they were so it wouldn't be that hard.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I have both a SunPass (FL) and an EZ Pass on the windshield of my car and I can't say seeing them there bothers me at all. They are mounted pretty high up on the windshield and it is a very small price to pay for the ease of use factor.