TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Noob future owner question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doveboat
I thought my 16 was using Google Maps ?? I do have Audi Connect active.

Ed
See, I thought that too based on everything Audi says in their promo material.

Technically, the virtual cockpit uses Google Earth imagery for the maps - street names, landmarks, etc. But the routing is done using (as far as I can tell) Audi's standard navigation software. That's why they have map updates. If they truly used Google for all things (including routing), then they wouldn't need map updates - Google would update that stuff automatically on their side.

I would have plunked down my money same day if the VC used Google maps for routing and imagery. That would have been perfect.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I too believe the Google Earth imagery is just an overlay when cell-available, whereas the actual routing is Audi Nav on hard drive. But .... cue adg44 ...
Old 11-29-2016, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the question then becomes... I suppose I could try to answer it... if one can use google maps via CarPlay. And if so how much pain or pleasure is involved.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can definitely use Google Maps -- and soon Waze -- with Android Auto (which VC supports in 2017 Audis); IIRC Google Maps aren't available in CarPlay, but only Apple Maps.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grey67
lol. I did love taking corners at speed in my old 128, so I'm hoping a TT will be equally enjoyable.

How is the routing logic for the audis? I really rely on google maps, and the BMW nav was worthless. The Audi's MMI does a nice shell but at its heart it's using Audi's nav logic rather than using Google's. The addition of Carplay gives me an alternative but Apple Maps isn't the greatest either. Since nav is such a central part of the virtual cockpit, I want to be sure it's good.
On my ED in Europe I relied on CarPlay and it worked pretty well. I use Apple Maps in NYC and it works great. It's come a long way since the infamous first version. Still waiting on delivery, and then I'll try the in car NAV and Carplay NAV and see which I prefer. I think for around town I will probably just use Carplay and for longer trips, the MMI Nav.