TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTS ... Rear Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTS ... Rear Suspension Noise

Hi all,

Just picked up my TTS yesterday and love it. I traded my 2014 stingray in and this car is so tight and just a riot to drive. But ...

I am hearing hearing loud thumping sounds from the rear, it almost sounds like the car is bottoming out. I do have the 20" wheels, but that certainly can't be the culprit. Has anyone experienced this?

Todd
Old 01-01-2016, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. I have 148 miles on my TTS and it made bad clunking noise when I first drove it off. It sounds like a rear shock is loose. I took it back into the dealer. Audi is replace the rear shock upper mounts. From my experience building Audi race cars, the mount itself shouldn't be the problem, unless the bolts our shock nut were loose. Call me at 817 690-6747 and we can talk about it. Very disappointed to have a problem such as this...it should have been caught in the PDI before the car was delivered to me.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

It is possible that the bump stop/dust cover came loose when the shipping blocks were removed from the suspension. If so, it will work itself back in and the noise will go away.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Good point. I guess my TTS sitting in US port so long wasn't necessarily a bad thing (unless removed during dealer rather than port prep?). Anyway, no suspension noise issues for me.

I had a number of issues with my ordered A5 (including water seepage despite presumably passed factory monsoon test?) but none with my allroad or TTS. The latter I guess a good day it was Oct 8th in Gyor.

Originally Posted by adg44
It is possible that the bump stop/dust cover came loose when the shipping blocks were removed from the suspension. If so, it will work itself back in and the noise will go away.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by adg44
That might well explain where my right rear thump went - nice and quiet over the last 1000 miles or so (now sitting at 4850, first service scheduled for Tuesday morning).

- Chuck
Old 01-02-2016, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by donistook
Yes. I have 148 miles on my TTS and it made bad clunking noise when I first drove it off. It sounds like a rear shock is loose. I took it back into the dealer. Audi is replace the rear shock upper mounts. From my experience building Audi race cars, the mount itself shouldn't be the problem, unless the bolts our shock nut were loose. Call me at 817 690-6747 and we can talk about it. Very disappointed to have a problem such as this...it should have been caught in the PDI before the car was delivered to me.

If Don is having an issue, I retract my comment that it is probably just hatch rattle. HE would know. I'll follow this as I plan to order one in the spring.
( My Cayman is still under warranty until July and I'll do a few more track events with it.)
Old 01-02-2016, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
Good point. I guess my TTS sitting in US port so long wasn't necessarily a bad thing (unless removed during dealer rather than port prep?). Anyway, no suspension noise issues for me.
PDI is done at the dealer, not the port.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by donistook
Thanks! Glad it's not suppose to drive like this. I'll call the dealer on Monday. I had a passenger ask me today if something heavy was loose in my hatch!
Old 01-03-2016, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Guys, One suggestion. In order to eliminate the hatch rattling from this discussion try folding a towel a couple or three layers thick and closing the hatch on it and drive around and see if the noise changes or goes away. Use enough layers that the hatch will barely close and latch. (if that makes it hard to open you may need to press down on it while unlatching)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Guys, One suggestion. In order to eliminate the hatch rattling from this discussion try folding a towel a couple or three layers thick and closing the hatch on it and drive around and see if the noise changes or goes away. Use enough layers that the hatch will barely close and latch. (if that makes it hard to open you may need to press down on it while unlatching)
Thanks for this. Tried it on my way home tonight. Seemed better but I didn't have something as thick as a towel. Headed to dealer tomorrow.

Quick Reply: TTS ... Rear Suspension Noise