TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Website vs Order Guide Surprises

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default I could care less

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Im not mad at Audi...Im just really disappointed in them. (Feel that guilt AofA?) Looking at the configurator on AofA's website for the new TT I am really, no EXTREMELY, disappointed to see that they have once again given Americans the shaft when it comes to options. Where is the Active Lane Assist, Highbeam Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Matrix Headlights, Park Assist or even FRONT PARKING SENSORS for damn sake! Some of these features you can spec on a domestic 17K dollar hatchback. What Audi did is just sad and they need to fire the financial analyst responsible for castrating what could be an amazingly equipped car. /Rant
Other than the matrix headlights, I don't ever want any of the options you mentioned. All they do is add cost/complexity/repairs to benefit the lazy/inattentive driver. Why would anyone need lane assist unless they were doing something they were not supposed to be doing instead of paying attention to the road? I like to DRIVE my car myself, not the computer. We are getting to a point similar to airline pilots who are so reliant on computer flight that they do not know what to do in an emergency when the computer fails or makes the wrong decision. It's called skills atrophy. IMO, the Mk 3 is already too expensive relative to its competition without adding these gadgets as standard features. The Mk 3 roadster is about 50% more expensive than my first 2001 Mk 1 roadster, outpacing US inflation substantially.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Other than the matrix headlights, I don't ever want any of the options you mentioned. All they do is add cost/complexity/repairs to benefit the lazy/inattentive driver. Why would anyone need lane assist unless they were doing something they were not supposed to be doing instead of paying attention to the road? I like to DRIVE my car myself, not the computer. We are getting to a point similar to airline pilots who are so reliant on computer flight that they do not know what to do in an emergency when the computer fails or makes the wrong decision. It's called skills atrophy. IMO, the Mk 3 is already too expensive relative to its competition without adding these gadgets as standard features. The Mk 3 roadster is about 50% more expensive than my first 2001 Mk 1 roadster, outpacing US inflation substantially.
My thoughts exactly, even though I drive a 2013 A6 with Side Assist at the moment. It really bothers me that so many drivers sit there totally unaware of anything they are doing that some "device" or "aid" isn't giving them feedback on or even controlling for them. When I taught my two daughters to drive it was on an old manual steering stick shift "third car" we had to make sure they knew what a car was and how to be responsible for controlling it. Even made them change a tire or two. Today, both are appreciative and scoff at friends who "can't drive stick." These days i get automatics (my damned knees!!) but I can still drive a stick now and then.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:09 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
My thoughts exactly, even though I drive a 2013 A6 with Side Assist at the moment. It really bothers me that so many drivers sit there totally unaware of anything they are doing that some "device" or "aid" isn't giving them feedback on or even controlling for them. When I taught my two daughters to drive it was on an old manual steering stick shift "third car" we had to make sure they knew what a car was and how to be responsible for controlling it. Even made them change a tire or two. Today, both are appreciative and scoff at friends who "can't drive stick." These days i get automatics (my damned knees!!) but I can still drive a stick now and then.
Americans view these assistance systems from the wrong perspective. In our country they may possibly foster further inattentiveness to the road. In other countries like Germany, they assist people to drive faster and safer. Look at Germany's accident statistics. Combine these assistance systems with their already top notch respect for automotive safety and you get a national low accident record that is unbeatable. These assistance systems are there to kick in when humans behave like humans and make mistakes. No one is perfect and pays attention 100% of the time. They are supposed to be an aid, not a crutch. Do I need a system to help me drive and stay in my lane? No. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't use it.