A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"5-arm" Wheels--European option

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default "5-arm" Wheels--European option

I just looked at the amazing amount of options available to European Audi buyers for the A8/A8L on the Audi UK website. As usual, I'm struck by the many ways one can truly customize their vehicle with factory options in their region. While I'm not going to go off here on Audi (yet) and how they pare down the option list for the U.S. market, I would really like to know if anyone has figured out how to get something on their U.S.-spec A8L that's available in Europe but not here. Specifically, I'd like to order the 19" 5-arm wheels (code PRD) for my next A8L (I'll probably order in February). These wheels are the same design as were offered as a U.S. option for the D3 A8/A8L in its later years. IMHO the design is cleaner and a more sportier look than either of the two wheels currently available for U.S.-destined vehicles, not to mention they would be sooooo much easier to clean and detail. I haven't spoken with my dealer yet about these wheels but will this week--I'm sure the answer will be "Can't do it."

OK, now I'll go off on Audi here anyway...why can they offer 9 (nine)!!! different wheels for European D4's and only 2 for the U.S.??? For as much $$$$$ as they want for these cars, would it be too much to ask for them to give us at least 5 or 6 choices?!? Not just two?!?

Take a look at the Audi UK website and review or download the A8/A8L brochure and you'll see what I mean. VERY frustrating.

Thanks in advance to anyone here who can help provide some guidance!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Look back last year at my posts on this issue. It's a no-go. AoA was willing to let me special order them at the same price I'd pay at the dealer as an after market purchase---but I wouldn't have the 2nd set of rims that way, as if purchased from the dealer on my own. You'd probably have to try to negotiate a wheel swap with the dealer, but he'd have to be willing to stock your car's original rims.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I like the 5 spoke wheels available on US Sport package, but I see your point.

German tuner ABT has some great wheels that compliment the A8, and are available to the US.

One Euro option I'd love to have is the TV tuner, or at least a video interface on the MMI.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Look back last year at my posts on this issue. It's a no-go. AoA was willing to let me special order them at the same price I'd pay at the dealer as an after market purchase---but I wouldn't have the 2nd set of rims that way, as if purchased from the dealer on my own. You'd probably have to try to negotiate a wheel swap with the dealer, but he'd have to be willing to stock your car's original rims.
Thanks, derf. That's what I thought. I just struggle with how any company (especially automotive) can be so anti-customer, especially for someone willing to spend this kind of money on one of their products. I'll approach my dealer this week and post what they say they're willing to do (or not).
Old 11-14-2011, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigGrasshopper
Personally, I like the 5 spoke wheels available on US Sport package, but I see your point.

German tuner ABT has some great wheels that compliment the A8, and are available to the US.

One Euro option I'd love to have is the TV tuner, or at least a video interface on the MMI.
I do like the "5 spoke" wheels in the US Sport package but, according to the AoA US brochure, it appears they're limited to that specific package for the A8 only. Not for the A8L (which is what I want to order). I'll ask my dealer what could be done to get these on an A8L.

I'll check ABT's website and see what they have. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Other than diameter and width, how critical is the "offset" (assuming the fitment is OK)?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm loving my bimoto MTM wheels . They weren't too expensive.

I'm thinking of trying winter tyres this year so might use my std 20's 12 spokes for that purpose. Just not sure what you can get that'll fit them yet

Jet
Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I used to think that the China only A6L would be fun to have and a great seller here - over time, in spite of my personal likes I see the logistics & marketing attenuation of Audi decisions in various markets. I do, however, believe that for many reasons we will see more options and build variances become available to us here in the U.S. in the next 3-4 years.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Yea Snow
I used to think that the China only A6L would be fun to have and a great seller here - over time, in spite of my personal likes I see the logistics & marketing attenuation of Audi decisions in various markets. I do, however, believe that for many reasons we will see more options and build variances become available to us here in the U.S. in the next 3-4 years.
Yes, increasing sales volume will dictate how much more open the option list will become. FWIW, when I tried to get the 5-arm wheels factory installed last year, I was told by AoA that they (the factory) don't stock wheels; they are custom ordered for each vehicle production order. Apparently U.S. spec production is done in batches, and it's more cost effective for Audi to keep the wheel specs limited to the two basic rim designs for the A8's 19" and 20" sizes. They would have special ordered the 5-arm rims for me, but at list price---I guess Audi AG was going to charge AoA the cost of going outside the standard U.S. production specs. Considering that there is no pricing difference between the 19" 10-spoke "Y" rims and the 19" 5-arm design in Europe (at least that's what I found on the German and UK Audi web sites), it didn't make me want to spring for the wheel deal. I could have paid the same $650/wheel to my dealer and had an extra set of rims for the same cost that Audi wanted for only one set of rims.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Yes, increasing sales volume will dictate how much more open the option list will become. FWIW, when I tried to get the 5-arm wheels factory installed last year, I was told by AoA that they (the factory) don't stock wheels; they are custom ordered for each vehicle production order. Apparently U.S. spec production is done in batches, and it's more cost effective for Audi to keep the wheel specs limited to the two basic rim designs for the A8's 19" and 20" sizes. They would have special ordered the 5-arm rims for me, but at list price---I guess Audi AG was going to charge AoA the cost of going outside the standard U.S. production specs. Considering that there is no pricing difference between the 19" 10-spoke "Y" rims and the 19" 5-arm design in Europe (at least that's what I found on the German and UK Audi web sites), it didn't make me want to spring for the wheel deal. I could have paid the same $650/wheel to my dealer and had an extra set of rims for the same cost that Audi wanted for only one set of rims.
It would seem to me that a low volume, niche vehicle like the A8/A8L would be the most likely to have similar options offered on a world-wide basis in order to please and accommodate their customers who are willing to spend a large amount of money for a vehicle, especially for something as simple as wheels. It seems ridiculous that Audi AG and AoA can't work out these issues and allow customers in the U.S. to order from the same options list as those in Europe. It would be a win-win for Audi---they'd satisfy more customers and likely end up with more money from vehicles with more options on them. If Audi really does want to grow quickly in the U.S. as they say they do, these kinds of unfriendly customer policies are counter to that desired growth. Audi doesn't have to be this way---they choose to be this way.