VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have the OBDtool.com connector and I'm using the non-registered versions of VAG-COM. I use it on

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the OBDtool.com connector and I'm using the non-registered versions of VAG-COM. I use it on

a compaq Pentium 1 laptop.
This setup worked fine on my 97 A4 for about a year and a half (no problems at all).

Since then it has been sitting in my large rolling tool box, away from dust and debris in an unheated garage. I connected it up the other day to my 2002 A4 just to see if it still works. I get some strange behavior when checking the status of the connector. Basically sometimes it says its okay and sometimes it says it's not there (almost like an intermittent connection)

When VAG-COM doesn't think the OBD connector is connected if I go into a module to interrogate it, it comes up okay (sometimes). Other times it times out.

Any suggestions? (I'm using the latest release from ross-tech.com)

I've tried different serial cables and I've reconfigured the COM port settings by changing port numbers and baud rates and nothing seems to work. The computer works just fine otherwise.

I think its time to get the TWIN-COM setup.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hrm, if you swapped out the serial cables...

the only thing left is that OBDII port connector. Maybe obdtool.com could send you a replacement/exchange for a fee? You purchased the 2002+ compliant cable/connector, yes?
Old 03-13-2003, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, I have the 1st gen connector for Non-CAN bus cars. I think I am going to just take the loss

and order a new twin-com set with fully registered software.
Although, they really need to offer some special pricing every once and a while.
Or they can offer a package with non-upgradable software, where you would need to pay to upgrade the software. That would be much nicer IMHO.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hallelujah, preach it... i thought to use on a 2002+ you needed the new adapter...

But hey, I'm wrong a lot. ;-) Good luck!
Old 03-19-2003, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Okay, I figured out my problem. I couldn't believe it was so simple.

The actual problem was that on the new A4 (8E B6), the OBD vehicle connector is in a tight spot, more so then the B5. The obdtool.com connector needed to be "locked" into position. I really had to push hard to get the thing to lock in, and when it engaged it made a definite click sound. I don't remember the connector fitting so tight on the previous generation. Thus my problem was that I wasn't getting a good connection to the vehicle OBD port.

Anyways, I'm back in business. Now all I need to do is to get a registered version of VAG-COM so I can do my own mods (instead of bothering my friends).

Andy/Uwe: Are you guys going to offer a low-cost release of the software so we don't have to buy the entire expensive package? Maybe make it available for only two updates or something like that. Or make the udpates cheaper so that we can pay as we go, so it offsets a lot of the initial cost? It could prove to be more profitible for Ross-tech! Think about it!