VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to VAG-COM

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to VAG-COM

I currently have a generic OBDII reader for general troubleshooting purposes. Now that I'm on to my second Audi, I'm considering getting the VAG-COM software.

I'm guessing that the OBDII cable that I already have cannot be used as an interface.

For general troubleshooting, is it worth it for me to get the VAG-COM software, and interface? I have an '01 A4 that I'll be selling, and I recently purchased an '04 A4. The '01 has had a persistent code (P0171 system too lean) code that I think the VAG-COM could help me nail down. I've already changed the 02 sensor, cleaned the MAF and checked and replaced a vac hose... also replaced the fuel filter. All stuff that needed to be done regardless.

Sorry for the long post... All I'm really looking for is an opinion as to whether a VAG-COM system would make my life easier for the stuff that I'd use it for - no major mods or adjustments.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Default Simple answer is yes. VCDS (VAG-COM) will unlock all systems

and give you details of what is happening in the car. You see, VCDS will turn you PC into a factory level diagnostic tool. It will read all DTCs and give you detailed descriptions of what the fault might be. You will be able to view live data so you can see why your fuel trim is too lean. On some systems, you can run output tests to cycle a part. The point: you will be able to do the same things the techs do at the dealership.

As to the OBD-II cable working with VAG-COM, you could try the older shareware versions available on our website to see if it will work. I really can't say without knowing more details.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 AM

Thanks Bruce - I'll give the shareware a try