Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Airbag Module Recoding

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Airbag Module Recoding

I'm replacing the airbag module. Here's my story so far.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ghlight=airbag

I'm replacing a 8E0959655A module with a module labeled the same. It is used and out of a vehicle that was not in a wreck. What do the guys at the shop need to do to recode? They have never replaced a module with a used one. Only replaced with new modules. Is it as simple as getting the code off the old module and putting it on the new(used)module? Anything else I should be aware of.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I read the other post and I'm not convinced the Airbag module is faulty. Those vehicles were noted for communication problems such as the Radio (as you mentioned) Central Conv. (due to water ingression) and ABS module failure. Any of those systems could interrupt communication to the 15 Airbag module.

An AutoScan would show all of the installed control modules that are communicating. If you have scan data to post from VCDS, please do so. I'm not going to dispute a shop diagnosis, but the 2 faults listed are common and do not indicate control module failure.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01217

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00655

Lastly, used Airbag components are never recommended. We would need to see the scan of this vehicle to determine if it can be recoded.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunately I don't have any scans that I can submit for your review. I wish I did. The best I can do is what I posted in my original request for advice.

The tech has run complete scans, and the only fault showing up still is the driverside airbag. The MIL is still on and flashing as well, which as he has said is the first time he's ever seen an airbag light flash. Usually it is solid.

He is unsure about the radio. He's told me that since he had disconnected the radio originally and that helped with the communication issues that he really hasn't spent any time worrying about the radio since he was still getting the fault for the airbag. Now that I bought a replacement radio
($50 through ECS) hopefully that will not be an issue if it was before as far as communication. The Central Conv. (is that the comfort control module under the driver floor mat?) was exposed when I went to the shop today. He brought that up as being a "problem child", but from what he could see there did not appear to be any evidence of water in that area. I would think there would be for it to mess up that module. As far as the ABS goes I have never had any known issues with it, but that certainly doesn't mean it could not be causing problems, but once he got everything communicating the only module he was having issue with was the airbag module and it was still showing a code for the driverside airbag which was just replaced with a new one.

I'll see if I can't get them to send me a scan. I would be really interested to get your take on it.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed about the module. What would a scan of my vehicle show you about compatibility with this module? I'm confused. I just thought that if this module was good it would work, but that it would need to have the code put in it from my vehicle. Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm learning as I go here.

Thanks for the response Dana. Any advice/knowledge is greatly appreciated. I'll post a scan if I can. But I will not eat green eggs and ham.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

only a new airbag unit can be recoded with vag-com or vas.
It can be recoded only one time , if you put a wrong code you need to replace the unit ( but normally if you put a wrong code it will not be accepted by the unit).
But there are a lot of guys who can rewrite the memory of the airbag ECU with a special interface for this type of job. I'm sure you can find someone in your area !
I wish you all the best !!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cata321
It can be recoded only one time , if you put a wrong code you need to replace the unit ( but normally if you put a wrong code it will not be accepted by the unit).
But there are a lot of guys who can rewrite the memory of the airbag ECU with a special interface for this type of job. I'm sure you can find someone in your area !
I wish you all the best !!
cata. Thanks for the reply, but I hope you're wrong. Here is a great right up on a module replacement. From OneGuyInCA:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...odule+recoding

He used VAG to recode. It seemed to be a succesful job.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

I believe this is an over-generalization.

-Uwe-
Old 03-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

New (used) module did the trick. No more airbag MIL on the dash. Kind of doesn't look right without it there, but I'm not complaining. Except now I have a new driverside airbag that probably didn't need to be replaced. Oh well.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Out of interest, where is the airbag module on a c5 a6?