Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Wet/Dry Traction: SP5000 vs. AVS dB vs. RE950?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet/Dry Traction: SP5000 vs. AVS dB vs. RE950?

Most of the comments I have seen on the SP5000 is that their dry performance is really only so-so compared to summer tires, and they are not all that responsive. Although they did consistently return some of the top lap times in the Tire Rack comparison tests. Unfortunately, Tire Rack didn't test these against any of the tires I am considering here.

I am coming from Toyo Proxes T1-S summer tires which are currently on the car, and I do not want to give up too much in wet/dry handling (T1-S was said to be second only to S-02 PP in wet/dry).

Snow performance is really my lowest priority. I am not so much looking for an all-season or all-around tire; I just want something that won't leave me completely stranded with 2-3 inches of snow on the ground like the T1-S did, and to achieve that I am willing to give up as little wet/dry traction as possible.

The RE950 seems to get the best survey ratings for wet/dry traction, but the RE950 is an H-Rated [non-Ultra] High Performance tire and not in the same class as the others; which may account for it's higher ratings (in other words, maybe it wouldnt score so high when compared directly to the tires I am considering here).

However if the RE950 really does offer the best wet/dry traction, maybe it would be worth having to put up with the H speed rating? I rarely see speeds in excess of 120 MPH, but it has been known to happen and I would be uncomfortable without having some top-speed headroom, especially when using tires that are ultimately manufactured by Firestone.

Eddie, can you (or anyone else) provide a comparison of these 3 tires? I am also considering the g-Force T/A KDWS, but it is currently at the bottom of the list due to insufficient feedback.

I will be looking to purchase in early-Nov., but am still in quite a dilemma between these 3 tires. I am CURRENTLY most inclined to go with the AVS dB, simply because the T1-S became noisier than a knobby 4x4 tire as they wore, and I seriously need a break from tire noise for a while. But if the SP5000 or RE950 would ultimately offer better wet/dry traction than the dB, I would certainly consider either of them.

Thanks!!
Paul
Old 10-24-2001, 10:29 AM

Have you looked at the Toyo FZ4s?
Old 10-24-2001, 11:51 AM

Default No, but some feedback I read here said they were not very good, also

The severe noise coming from my T1-S makes me want to steer clear of Toyos for a while. The tread is staggered and the noise and vibration have become so severe it rattles things inside the car. It is not a balance, alignment, or pressure problem, and it is at it's worst at slow (less than 10 MPH) speeds. The tires have been rotated every 10K or so miles (I have 30K on them so far), so it's not from lack of rotation either.

Paul
Old 10-24-2001, 01:06 PM

Default Interesting you mention the noise. I ran the FZ4s under a free 30 day trial-->

offered by Toyo through a local dealer here in the Northeast. At the time I had 235/45/17s on 7.5" rims and they were very noisey so I took them back and got the Dunlop SP5000s. I have had problems with the Dunlops being out of round. They have replaced two of them, but the ride is still not very smooth. Now I'm wondering if the FZ4s were noisey because they were on a 7.5" wide rim rather than 8"(that I have now). Sometimes I'm sorry I didn't bite the bullet and get he Michilen XGT Z4s. They are expensive at $190 each but seem to get good reviews at TireRack
Old 10-24-2001, 01:09 PM

Default Ok, I will favor AVS dB over SP5000 based on earlier comment from Eddie, BUT what about the RE950s??

For those who are curious, since Eddie has been recommending the SP5000 lately, basically I interpreted his comments to say the SP5000 was still the best all-around tire, but seemed like the dB has more crisp steering response and SLIGHTLY better dry traction than the SP5000, albeit with perhaps a harsher ride.

Eddie's comments can be found here:

https://forums.audiworld.com/wheel/msgs/37610.phtml

(Eddie, did I interpret that correctly?)

I have also read some comments from others that say the same thing, while adding that the SP5000s seem to do better in snow than the dB. But snow handling is less of a priority for me than steering response, dry traction, and noise.

The initial survey results on the Tire Rack site suggest that the Bridgestone Potenza RE950s outperform even the SP5000 in all aspects, but there is not a lot of actual feedback, and no actual testing of these tires. Anyone actually tried these??

Paul
Old 10-24-2001, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Interesting you mention the noise. I ran the FZ4s under a free 30 day trial-->

i just got the toyo fz4s a few weeks back. i like them. they are a bit noisy...but quite common for low profile z rated tires. i had bridgestone potenza re040s before...and they were even louder. but performance and handling wise...toyo fz4s are great tires.
Old 10-25-2001, 03:12 AM

If you are in snow country let us know how they do this winter.,
Old 10-25-2001, 05:53 AM

Default Re: If you are in snow country let us know how they do this winter.,

supposedly...they are decent in snow...but i probably won't take the chance. even though they are all-season tires...they are still z-rated...so i doubt that they are good in the snow. we'll see i guess. i'm in new jersey...so we get our share of snowy/icy conditions.
Old 10-25-2001, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I had the AVSdb's last winter. They suck in the snow, marginally better than a summer tire IMO.