Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Engines > 1.8T Discussion
Reload this Page >

Flashing yellow oil sensor light?

Flashing yellow oil sensor light?

 
Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 PM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing yellow oil sensor light?

I got a flashing yellow light (the oil symbol with the word "sensor" next to it) come on the instrument panel today, but when I look in the owner's manual, there is nothing there telling me what that means or what to do? Am I just a quart low, or is it some lowsy sensor gone bad? I have a 02' A4 1.8T quattro. Any help is greatly appreciated
Knightstick is offline  
Old 11-03-2009, 03:33 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed wiring and replaced sensor

Originally Posted by Knightstick View Post
I got a flashing yellow light (the oil symbol with the word "sensor" next to it) come on the instrument panel today, but when I look in the owner's manual, there is nothing there telling me what that means or what to do? Am I just a quart low, or is it some lowsy sensor gone bad? I have a 02' A4 1.8T quattro. Any help is greatly appreciated
So this has been the biggest pain in my rear for about a month. I found broken wires at the base of the sensor and thought "ok easy fix". Fixed the wiring and still the indicator on the dash shows. so then i went with replacing the sensor and still bad indicator shows. plenty of oil in the car and i have no where else to go... can anyone help on this topic PLEASE!!?!?!??!!?
infamous107 is offline  
Old 11-03-2009, 03:09 PM
  #3  
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

My mechanic warned me about this..didnt say what it was but told me to take it to the shop asap if that started happening..
fall3ndisciple is offline  
Old 11-04-2009, 08:18 AM
  #4  
AudiWorld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Well i took it to a mechanic did a oil pressure test and said everything was working within limits and didnt see anything wrong. I told him about the wiring fix that i did, he looked that over and said it was exactly what they would have done. Then he drained the oil and looked at the sensor itself, didnt see any problems there either. So before they started charging me the $1000 dollars plus, he said that i should trouble shoot the wiring all the way up to the ECU it may have something to do with a short at the cluster. I have no idea where the cluster is at... can anyone help?
infamous107 is offline  
Old 11-11-2009, 08:41 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Always look for the easy **** first!!!

So after a month of troubleshooting this Yellow "oil can" sensor indicator. i change the sensor (150 bucks), wiring (10 bucks), coolant temp sensor (25 bucks), a couple vacuum lines (3 bucks),.... knowing that after all that troubleshooting it was a burnt 10amp fuse in the fuse box that i found myself thinking that a dealership would know better... priceless.

And take note that its been to two Audi dealerships…

Lesson learned, always check the small things before you start getting your hands dirty. Props to this site!!!
infamous107 is offline  
Old 02-11-2010, 09:48 PM
  #6  
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil sensor indicator

I'm having the same exact issue. Do you remember which fuse # was burnt?

Originally Posted by infamous107 View Post
So after a month of troubleshooting this Yellow "oil can" sensor indicator. i change the sensor (150 bucks), wiring (10 bucks), coolant temp sensor (25 bucks), a couple vacuum lines (3 bucks),.... knowing that after all that troubleshooting it was a burnt 10amp fuse in the fuse box that i found myself thinking that a dealership would know better... priceless.

And take note that its been to two Audi dealerships…

Lesson learned, always check the small things before you start getting your hands dirty. Props to this site!!!
sulsham is offline  
Old 02-18-2010, 03:14 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Sul,
I dont remember exactly which fuse it was, but it had something to do with an indicator. I'll check this evening and let you know exactly which one it was. But make sure that your wires weren't chewed by some rodent. I think thats what happened to my car. Some type of animal crawled up there and shorted the wire for the sensor triggering the fuse to blow (chewed through it). But long story short, it was in the fuse box to the left of the steering column.
infamous107 is offline  
Old 04-18-2010, 12:04 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have the same problem but in my case, its not the fuse. It's the sensor cable ripped off.

Can someone tell me the color for the pin connector that connects the pan. There are 3 pins and I need to know the order.
hlfire is offline  
Old 04-24-2010, 04:28 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hlfire View Post
I have the same problem but in my case, its not the fuse. It's the sensor cable ripped off.

Can someone tell me the color for the pin connector that connects the pan. There are 3 pins and I need to know the order.
Hlfire,
the color order from front to back is as follows.
Black Red, brown in the middle, and toward the rear of the car is green and red. just changed my oil under my car and gave it a quick check. hope this helps. if you get stuck anywhere let me know. spent hours cracking this case but overall saved me at least 5 to 6 hundred bucks in troubleshooting and maintenance fees alone. since a fuse in the box was also blown and over looked.
infamous107 is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 11:03 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks infamous107,

I'll give that a try in reconnecting it. Sounds like brown in the middle is ground.

I'll post my results.
hlfire is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flashing yellow oil sensor light?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: