I loved My first Audi untill today

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I loved My first Audi untill today

Hello Audi world.
I just bought my first Audi about a week ago and up until today I love this car.It's a 99 A4 1.8t)
The only thing I noticed after I bought the car was a broken Dip stick funnel but I replaced it today. (about a week after I bought the car).

Anyways; I was driving home from work tonight and I picked up my friend. We stopped at the gas station and when I was reversing the car acted like the brakes where locked up. ( car just stopped after I let off the gas). I put the car in Drive and noticed that the car didn't seem like it wanted to go. It wouldn't Shift unless in Manual mode and when it did it just bogged down even more.
I pushed on the gas Full and I could only hit about 3k RPM in 2nd nothing after that. I didn't step on it for long I just pulled over and popped my hood and the turbo was RED HOT! It was so hot my friend thought it was a light in my motor bay. I Turned the car off and let it cool down. After the cool down it ran fine.

I was getting plenty of boost and with the car in park/neutral the motor had no problems.

I didn't hot rod the car at all on the way home. In fact I haven't relay let the car loose since I bought it I wanted this car to last.

If I had a problem with the transmission would this really make the motor push so hard to make the turbo red hot? and if so why would it clear up after cooling down? Could this be a problem with the turbo? Or maybe a small vacume leak and the car got put in safe mode or something. I am so confused.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

post over in the B5 A4 forum, more traffic
Old 11-30-2006, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default don't shut the engine off to cool the turbo

the turbo uses oil circulated by the engine to cool the turbo - when you turn the car off no more circulation and you can bake oil in the feed lines - bad. leave it idling and you'll be ok.