Won't Start/ No codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't Start/ No codes

ok here is what happened. 2003 1.8T A4 Quattro. Coolant line busted while i was driving. Car over heated. Cooland light came on, Oil light came on. there was a loud clicking/knocking sound coming from the engine. the car shuts off and wont start.

i have it towed back home and after inspecting it i replace busted coolant line and oil pressure sensor (melted right off cuz engine overheated).
i go to try and start it but just turns over and over. no cranking, nothing. air, fuel, and spark, all seem to be working fine. the engine light is NOT ON but i hooked up scan tool and NO codes popped up.

SOMEONE HELP!!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by oscar7120
ok here is what happened. 2003 1.8T A4 Quattro. Coolant line busted while i was driving. Car over heated. Cooland light came on, Oil light came on. there was a loud clicking/knocking sound coming from the engine. the car shuts off and wont start.

i have it towed back home and after inspecting it i replace busted coolant line and oil pressure sensor (melted right off cuz engine overheated).
i go to try and start it but just turns over and over. no cranking, nothing. air, fuel, and spark, all seem to be working fine. the engine light is NOT ON but i hooked up scan tool and NO codes popped up.

SOMEONE HELP!!
did you have the radio on while you were doing this?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nope. but i dont see how that has anything to do with it?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nope. but i dont see how that has anything to do with it?
i was just wondering
Old 01-16-2012, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

SOMEONE HELP!!

If the oil light came on after overheating, I'm going to assume that it was thinned out by the excessive heat and therefore triggered a low pressure. If you melted a sensor, that's quite some heat you achieved. Were you sitting in slow traffic? Driving it hard? Didn't you get a coolant light almost instantaneously?

I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" but the first thing you should be doing is a compression test to see whether you're holding pressure in the cylinders. There's a chance you could have trashed your head gasket to the point of not being able to build enough compression for the fuel to ignite and cylinder to fire.

If you're confident you have air, fuel, and spark, then that tells me lack of compression...

Not getting any codes because the engine isn't getting a chance to run to generate them? Maybe an expert could chime in on that note? Joking about your radio certainly ain't going to get you anywhere....
Old 01-18-2012, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you destroyed the engine is what happend.....nothing the engine sees is wrong, except theres no compression, lol.