2.6 ABC ECU re-mapping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.6 ABC ECU re-mapping?

Does anyone on here know if it's possible to re-map the ECU in my '95 2.6E Coupe?

The reason I'm asking is covered in another post of mine on here concerning a choice of inlet manifolds. My problem is that I want to fit a 2.8 AAH engine into my car but the management systems are not compatible. I'm considering using the ABC inlet manifold so that all my electrical and vacuum connections match the loom etc on the car and then getting the ECU re-mapped to suit the fuelling requirements of the larger engine.

Any opinions/recommendations are appreciated. I'm based in Kent in the UK so if anyone can recommend someone close that would help greatly too.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the threshold at which a re-map is required?

Hello Sir,

I don't know the answer to the above. However what I was thinking was, follows:

- These systems are designed to fail-safe rich, default to rich, and are "jetted" rich from the factory, and they certainly can deliver excessive amounts of fuel and extremely poor mileage;

- Certainly some 2.8 folks have accommodated various appetites with changes to fuel pressure, and of injectors; specifically asking for less fuel (using less than OEM rated injectors) while getting more performance. Although those have been without increasing the engine displacement, with such a modest increase (approx. 6 - 7%) as you propose, is this not within the OEM system's capability to adapt and deliver?

How does your ECM sense increased airflow? Disregarding system specifics for the moment, would the "jetting" strategy used on North American models be much different than yours?

- If it wasn't able to deliver, what would occur? Lean codes that you could not remedy?

- Is there not a formula available to us, to calculate the necessary fuel delivery capability of injectors; and

- Could one use that to see if your current injectors qualify for this increase, because if they do, perhaps the rest of your system can already back them up.