3 fuel tank fill-ups post IM, and I was wrong thinking 22.12% increase in MPG...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is amazing
Old 10-12-2008, 09:38 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default but those numbers are based on the car as-delivered from Audi...

And the car I drive today is a far-cry from "as-delivered." It weigh 360lbs less than OEM and has ALL lightweight rotational components from CV's to driveshaft to harmonic damper to flywheel to valve train and cams... even my alternaror pulley weighs 20% of a stock one! In fact there's lightweight pulleys on EVERY ancillary belt-driven component in the car! Titanium valve spring retainers, lightweight lifters & gun-drilled cams. Less than half the unsprung weight and far superior front-to-rear/left-to-right weight aspect ratios. I have better gearing/final drive ratios down low in gears 1 thru 4 and taller gearing in 5th for increased highway mileage efficiency. I get away from a stop far easier than stock and turn fewer RPMs when I achieve ANY selected speed. I can go into a higher gear for lower RPMs at any speed and still be able to accelerate faster in that gear than the stock transmission or final drive would allow. I have superior aerodynamics via RS2 bumper/mirrors and sit lower than OEM specs. Less rolling resistance and parasitic drag than stock. Better induction, combustion than stock with blueprinted/CC'd and balanced EVERYTHING! I have far better fuel/air efficiencies as well as more efficient engine engine management and breathing charcteristics. Basically the car works less hard than it did when stock at any/every RPM either in attaining OR maintaining any speed or transition from a stop.

Nothing "magic" here so much as just a TON of time invested sweating the small stuff and an overwhelming, clinically obsessive-compulsive attention to detail as that relates to weights, flows, fuel/air ratios, induction and balance.

After 3 years of constant dissection, blatant neglect for the status-quo and a healthy dose of curiosity, open-mindedness & intuitiveness it's beginning to pay off... in SPADES!

The thing that most surprises me in all of this is that EVERYTHING I mentioned above as far as improvements couldn't be fully realized as substantive until "after" the intake manifold was truly sealed. That had my IM been sealed "before" doing ANYTHING else on this car I would've obviously had far greater "per modification" gain/benefit from ALL those things individually rather than just seeing them now after sealing the IM as a cumulative/overall effort. And I can't go back now and do it over again just to find out. Next time I do a car like this NOTHING gets done til I'm showing stellar/glowing intatke manifold vacuum!!

It's just a REALLY good little car that delivers on EVERYTHING I've put into it and asked of it. It's VERY special to me in EVERY way! And I know she weeps openly while I sleep when things like the starter or high pressure oil switch go south. She REALLY loves to run and I think she knows she found a good home.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: who said anything about "youre cars don't move"

no i'm not confused We use octane in europe and we have 3 kids of gasoline 95 octane 98 octane and 100 octane wich is sold only by BP...
Old 10-15-2008, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default let me try to explain this again...

the fuel in the eu is the same as the us just the numbers we use for our octane is different than your octane numbers but it is the same fuel . sort of like you use kilometers and we use miles its both to measure distance just different numbers. Our 91 octane= your 95 rating. does this make sense now? here is some one elses explanation.. maybe they can do better than myself...

In Europe 98-octane gasoline is common and in Japan even 100-octane is readily available at the pumps, but this octane nomenclature is misleading to Americans as foreign octane ratings are derived entirely differently from our own... So, like every other measurement system it seems that everyone else uses a different scale than we do, but unlike most other instances where we have had the good sense to create different units of measure in this case we all use the same name...
Japan and Europe use a system called RON or Research Octane Number to determine the octane rating of their gasoline, while stateside we use a system called AKI or Anti-Knock Index to determine gasoline's octane rating... Interestingly, to further complicate things it would seem that our own AKI system is actually derived from the average of the RON system and another more complicated system referred to as MON or Motor Octane Number... So, to recap our methodologies for measuring gasoline's octane rating are different, but share some common elements...
So, with the commonality of RON in mind a good rule of thumb is as follows, multiply the foreign RON Octane rating by 0.95 and you will have the US AKI equivalent.

( RON Octane Rating x 0.95 = AKI Octane Rating )
98 RON Octane x 0.95 = 93.1 AKI Octane (US measure)
100 RON Octane x 0.95 = 95 AKI Octane (US measure)

So, as you can see the 93 or 94 octane fuel we are all paying an arm and a leg for is actually quite comparable to the higher octane fuels found in Europe and Japan. The people whom have to worry about low octane rating are our friends out west in places like California that are subjected to substandard 91 octane.
91 AKI Octane (US measure) = 95.5 RON Octane