Engine Block Coolant Drain Plug location?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Block Coolant Drain Plug location?

Hoping someone can confirm the correct location of the coolant drain plug on the engine block. I found a good picture but there are two similar bolts and I don't want to undo the wrong one.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Is it #1 on the right, or #2 on the left?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1996 Audi A6 Quattro Sedan
148,500 miles.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After reading other posts about this same issue (which I had also done before posting), I see now that it is neither of the bolts pictured. The correct bolt is found further back, just before the transmission junction and the drain plug bolt is vertical in orientation about 1.5 inches recessed in a deep pocket. There are 3 similar pockets; its the one in the middle. The center of the correct bolt has a six-sided torx star pattern - at least mine does.

Now I've just got to get the right 4"-6" long 8mm hex tool to get that bad boy out.

I'll post up a picture of the exact location for other's future reference.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://forums.quattroworld.com/9080/...12.phtml#24887
Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks, that link has a better photo than I could take.

The plug came out easy with the right tool. Only problem I've had is locating a replacement o-ring that fits properly. I need to go to the 'local' dealer (20 miles away) to pick one up. I recommend getting the correct o-ring before you start the job.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice, I replaced the coolant on my car this weekend. However, did not use the block allen screw as I did not have the O-ring, but the lowest hose at the radiator instead. Re-filled with distilled water (about a gallon), placed the hose back and warmed the car. I then repeated the procedure again twice, until all it was left was clean distilled water on the engine. On the third time I filled it with G12 blue coolant (Audi 90 Quattro). Warmed the car, and left the pocket of airs out through the highest points. Drove it for a two trip and what a difference did it make; coolant temperature remained cooler than usual.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I know this is an old thread. But even with the links I cannot find the drain plug on the engine for my Audi - 1997 A4 AFC engine 2.8L v6 FWD

A close up picture and zoom out picture would help if anyone has one. I have searched a lot and just cannot find it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ProfileTrader
I know this is an old thread. But even with the links I cannot find the drain plug on the engine for my Audi - 1997 A4 AFC engine 2.8L v6 FWD

A close up picture and zoom out picture would help if anyone has one. I have searched a lot and just cannot find it.

Thanks in advance.
This here is about as good as it gets. slide yourself under the car with that photo and you can't miss it
Old 06-13-2018, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have an engine on a stand too.

try this:

Old 06-13-2018, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the quick responses - It is much appreciated. Is the plug below in the picture what I am looking for. If so I removed it with an 8mm hex bit and when it came out nothing happened. No coolant came out. ALSO when I looked at the plug it had a small amount of oil on it (the threaded area and the end of it. What are your thoughts. Someone mentioned to me that sometimes it is clogged and you need to stick something up there to get the coolant to come out... but my concern was the oil that was on the bolt. Thank again for the help.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's it - stick something up there and it should dump coolant on you

Quick Reply: Engine Block Coolant Drain Plug location?