Engine noticeably rougher at idle and throughout rev range after VS install. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noticeably rougher at idle and throughout rev range after VS install. Normal?

No CEL and I'm certainly not seeing any decrease in performance. The usual slight bog in 1st gear when launching seems to have been reduced somewhat.

Engine is no longer butter smooth but instead is a bit rumbly. Sounds different and can I feel the vibration through the seat. Now goes GRRRRRRRR instead of VRRRRRRRR

Any of you guys with Mace's VS experience this?

Maybe I worry about my baby a bit too much sometime. Just want to make sure I didn' hurt anything.

Oh and I did disconnect the battery and drive around 20 minutes, no change.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Got O ring?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:27 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery needs to be disconnected for 20-30 minutes "minimum" for ECU to clear itself...

Then takes 50-100 miles of driving to adapt to your driving style and the larger volume of air. But I've never had a soul report anything out of the ordinary with a simple VS install. You might try pulling the MAF sensor plug on-&-off a quick 10-12 times just to wipe the terminal spades clean.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

On stock MAF?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll keep you posted 100 miles from now...
Old 03-22-2007, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A picture of the VS installed may help,

I know putting one in isn't rocket science, but you never know sometimes.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I already got one, removed some splines, went in pretty easy. Maybe I should clarify.

The car is not what I would call "rough". I know severa people with 1.8T's that are this rough and say it's normal. It's just that before I would frequently turn the key when the car was on because it was so smooth that I couldn't tell it was running. I could stand next to the car and would have to listen carefully to know whether it was running.

Now I walk out the door and I hear it immidiately on the other end of the (large) driveway. And there's some vibration. I've traded smoothness for more grunt. I'm ok with this. I just want to make sure it's normal.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:54 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's always a good idea to clean the MAF sensor wires while in there as they do get dirty...

and now that you're geting more volume and velocity of air past them they may be in need of a good cleaning. There's several aerosol products on the market specifically for cleaning MAF sensor wires and some "oiless/non residue" contact cleaners made for the electronics industry. Just 2-3 one-second sprays across the wires makes em shiney, new and instantly responsive again.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

yay for shiny but I'm gonna hold off and wait for the shiny wires on your MAF instead
Old 03-22-2007, 01:07 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wrong! My MAFs rely on you using "your" sensor in "my" RS3 MAF housing . So you still need it...

Besides, a can with once/twice a year useage will last you a lifetime.

No need to wait for anything I do as nothing changes in regards to the sensor wires. You'll have the same wires in anything I send to you as you have today as I dont provide sensors.

Quick Reply: Engine noticeably rougher at idle and throughout rev range after VS install. Normal?