How can you test if an EGR valve is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 08:58 AM
GPJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I seriously doubt your car is any cleaner now....

...than it was new, without EGR (unless certain aftermarket components, e.g., cats, wideband o2 sensors, etc., are more efficient or accurate). Mance, I doubt your car was properly tested for emissions - dynamically on a 4wd platform. Emissions testing has specific protocols to verify proper operation of every system - at various engine speeds, loads, conditions, etc. This is not merely a "theory that I am touting," this is how EGR works, and how Audi designed it into our AFC/AAH engine. To say that it unnecessary based on a tailpipe sniff at idle/off-idle, is being cursory, at best. Disconnecting the EGR on a street car is being irresponsible. There are many cars out there using EGR that produce very high horsepower. Also, many states will not accept a clean tailpipe without a proper OBDII readiness code, which a disconnected EGR valve will corrupt.

Also Mance, why no response to my statement regarding the reduction of NOx in _all cylinders_ vs. _only the left bank_? Can you not acknowledege that based on your previous statement, you did not understand how the EGR system works? As with some of your past empiricisms, it appears that your only reply is your pomposity.

G
Old 12-08-2006, 09:49 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I give up, you win but ya might wanna check Colorado Clean Air testing methods...

and how the testing is done given it's EXACTLY as you say, ie; "dynamically on a 4WD dyno."

People like you are EXACTLY why most of us don't hang here any longer and this forum is sparsely attended and scarcely participated at. There will never be any so blind as those who refuse to see.

As far as what you believe or doubt is of little-to-no concern to me as I've done it, lived it. You're still spewing broad-spectrum book theory without a shred of real-world practical experience with the 12V on a dyno with full telemetry hooked-up or on an emissions dyno sans EGRV. You've never experimented with what you're preaching. You've never attempted anything of the sort on this engine yet you want to postulate your position over mine without benefit of practical knowledge. Please understand I concede you're right... just not "right" for me or about "my" car. Your doubting or not believing what I'm saying will always make a far greater statement about you than it ever could me. I just cannot concern myself with what is obviously your problem/neurosis and none of my own. Not withstanding your complete absence of any problem/neurosis whatever I'm sure.

But please, go ahead, get your final say but make it for your "other" audience as it just doesnt work for me and I'll be elsewhere anyway.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:06 PM
GPJ

Default Remember one thing...

Anyone, with your alleged "real-world" experience, who would say:

"If that were true wouldnt the right side cat always fail quicker given that the right side engine bank has zero EGR bleed-off from it's exhaust manifold as 100% of all EGR samplings are taken from left bank?"

...is an idiot. You should also be ashamed for being incapable of acknowledging your mistake.

And you say that you tested your EGR system dynamically on a 4wd platform, as I suggested. Oh, how convenient! And you extensively modify your engine, and make generalized statements about EGR in a factory application, in this thread. Interesting... Your moniker should be
Mr. Anecdotal.

Take your bat and ball and go home, like you did the last time. This time stay home, and bask in your pomposity.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:40 AM

Default Turns out my CEL was an implausible signal from the temp sensor....

which happens to be linked with my recent overheating issue. At least the EGR is not acting up again...yet. Love the madness!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:02 PM

Default As of Monday at 6:00, these codes have not returned.

I put a new fuel filter in on Friday, we'll see if they return.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:36 PM

Default Good!

It makes you nervous though, doesn't it? I cleared my temp sensor code and now I'm just waiting for it to come back. I cleared an 02 sensor code (response too slow) a while back and it only returned once. Seems to be gone now but you just never know. Ahhh, the CEL and all it's glory.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:01 PM

Default Not too worried, though I do look for it often.

I know that I can probably fix whatever problem I incur, I just don't necessarily want to.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:31 PM
GPJ

Good to hear!
Old 12-20-2006, 06:37 AM

Default Check engine light came on last night...

but I will be busy for the next couple of days (today is my birthday) so I probably won't pull them until tomorrow night or maybe friday.

I'll let you know what they are.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:24 AM

hack ...back...?