LWPS pulleys start shipping today and a question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:05 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LWPS pulleys start shipping today and a question...

First, the question; How many still plan on getting a pulley to me by the end of the week for lightening? Reason I ask is if there's more I can leave the CNC powered-down and "parked" at it's current setting and not have to re-find it's "zero" starting point for these pulleys when/if more pulleys arrive. If all pulleys are here then I can "un-park" the CNC, forfeit or cancel-out my LW pulley "zero" starting point and move on to some other projects. I don't want to cancel zero if I'm not finished with pulleys as it takes over an hour to reinstall the pulley fixtures on the CNC and get zero back once lost/cancelled.

All of my in-house exchange pulleys and outright sale pulleys are finished. A total of 45 in-house and 16 "customer-supplied" pulleys so far in this GP. Barring any additional sales of "my" pulleys there will be 5-6 remaining after the dust settles.

The earliest orders for these will start shipping today. That includes outright, exchange and customer-supplied pulleys. Probably 18-20 will ship today. A similar size shipment tomorrow and the day after. Additional pulleys received this week will be batched/ganged with other late arrivals and machined in as large a number as can be achieved. Pulleys recieved as late as Friday, March 21, the cut-off date for this production-run will be ran over the weekend and shipped ASAP the following week. People that haven't transferred their refundable core deposit monies yet will have their orders batched & shipped with other pulleys going out near the times their deposits were received.

Feel free to e-me with any questions "off-forum."

Thanks,
M
Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thas' alota pulleys!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:45 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Only 14 exchange or outright sale units + 4 customer supplied from this forum
Old 03-17-2008, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sent; I'll be the 5th customer supplied Power Steering Pulley, however ...

...I don't think its going to make it by Friday.

They (Canada Post) could only promise 7 business days; &amp; I couldn't "upgrade", as that required <i>your</i> phone number (it's a U.S. security thing apparently, who they gonna call if it blows-up?). As long as I send it more slowly, they don't need your number. Umhmm. Your tax dollars at work.

Mance, if I don't make it, thats fine. Next time perhaps. I certainly don't need this in a hurry. I'd just discovered this donor A4 5V on Sat. Car was buried &amp; I had no tools.

Returned today, un-bolting was no problem, but pulley was seized on the pump shaft. No "sub 5 minute job" this one (perhaps I should have asked what the second tool was in this "2 tool job"? Only penetrating oil &amp; patience (about an hour) got it off. Just kept rotating it &amp; applying light pressure &amp; more oil. It didn't look like there was any room for a puller, nor any easy way to remove the whole pump. Luckily the weather was perfect.

Cleaning just the red rust out of the centre-bore hole (it actually looks as though it was punched, not bored) required the most gentle of fine filing. What a lovely piece, looks like it was anodized perhaps. Looking at the edge detail, where the belt grooves meet the un-machined sides of the pulley rim, that edge width appears slightly un-even as you slowly rotate the pulley. Therefore, the grooves where machined after the pulley itself was either stamped or forged, I wonder which?<ul><li><a href="http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/unorthodox-racing-6-rib-ps-pulley-polished-audi-s4-0003-pi-6147.html">I like the French OEM look &amp; your price better than this one...</a></li></ul>
Old 03-17-2008, 03:44 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a U/O pulley in black and the stock pulley lightened weighs half of the U/O one as well...

The U/O pulley is actually heavier than the stock alloy PS pulley but lighter than the OEM steel pulley.

If your pulley arrives too late there's still another option. If I have remaining pulleys when your's arrives I can swap you one of my "pre-machined" units and you pay the additional $10 between the $55 for doing yours and the $65 for doing an exchange pulley with no deposit. Then I just add your pulley to my exchange pulley pile.

The "2nd tool" in pulley R&amp;R is the wrench to relieve tension on the serpentine belt tensioner. Cars that are "on-the-road" daily don't have problems with pulley's seizing like junkyard motors sitting on the ground hood or in a car with no hood like in junkyards.

Be V-E-R-Y careful in removing ANY material from the aluminum pulley shaft bore as that is designed to be a snug "zero-play"/interference-fit to the pump pulley shaft. The bore is the ONLY centering device for the pulley!! PS pulleys are "hub-centric" and CANNOT center via mounting bolts alone!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: your other option ("option 2") offer, thanks...

...I guess we'll have to just wait &amp; see if:

a.) my pulley gets in the door under the deadline;

b.) you have pre-machined ones on hand, if it arrives afterward; &amp;

c.) I've "filed" my pulley under "D" for door-stop. I did remember your previous remarks on both (lack of) cleanliness of parts you receive; and hub-centricity of the power steering pulley when I did this.

The Scotch-Brite, varsol &amp; Brake-Kleen wouldn't cut it, so I used a curved fine riffler file to just "draw file" only &amp; only the red rust. Because the file is curved, both in profile &amp; along its' axis, it only has point contact which allowed me good control of the affected area. Let me know if I've pooched it.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/12v/msgs/66298.phtml">2nd paragraph re hub-centric...</a></li></ul>
Old 03-18-2008, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i am trying to get one to ship to you..

IF i cant find one in time do you still have any that you sell outright avaliable?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:54 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm down to 3-4 but as of this moment in time, yes....

tho soon after the next TB GP I'll likely lighten all my PS pulley cores at some point so that I have them in Pre-made/ready-to-ship inventory. After my latest purchase of even more of these things I'm feeling a bit guilty about keeping 40+ stock PS pulleys in a box that can't be sold until/if lightened.