Mr. D...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 01:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mr. D...

I'm going to replace that torn brake piston seal/boot seal. Since I don't have compressed air available, I'll try to pull the piston out with an internal pipe wrench.

When you replaced the piston seal on your front caliper, did you prefill the caliper with brake fluid before mounting it, or did you simply bleed the caliper as usual after mounting and hooking it up?
Old 12-04-2005, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default be careful not to score the piston when you pull it out that way...

another way is to step on teh brakes w/ the caliper off the rotors and a piece of wood on the other side... using the pressure of the fluid to get it out.

Though it's kinda daunting to do it that way, i think that might be a better solution than doing thw pipe-wrench deal.

As for filling, it wouldn't hurt to prefill the caliper a little bit before hooking it up... would be that much less air to bleed, ya know?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wouldn't force it...

I'm simply not crazy about squirting brake fluid all over the place. But I won't get around to it this weekend anyway, because of course something had to come up and I don't have time.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I didn't prefill the caliper, I just bled as normal.

However, I did use a little brake fluid to lube the new sealing ring. However, I think I remember that you had bought the correct assembly paste for that purpose.

I heard someone suggest pushing the piston out with an empty grease gun. I pumped the brakes until the piston came out.

Good Luck. E-mail me if you want my number in case you run into a snag.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The boot holds the brake fluid from sqirting everywhere, believe it or not...

Just have a pan under it to catch the drips when you disconnect it. I also capped off the end of the brake line to prevent excess fluid from leaking out of the system.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'll find out next weekend

This morning I got a flat tire (only a month old). 3 inch rusty wood screw.

I got a plug for the brake line. Anyway, I'll probably put SS lines in if I get them in time.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Get a BandAid®...

Mybe I can hook my trusty foot pump up to the caliper and force the piston out that way. I'm sure I can find a way to end up bleeding. ;-)

I'll report all accidents and success stories...

Trending Topics

Old 12-04-2005, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I decided not to go with the ss lines...

I don't like how you can't inspect the rubber part of the brake line through the braiding and have heard stories of the braiding becoming frayed from the inside and poking through the brake line. Not to mention the stock brake lines are cheaper. Also, I hear you get more of an improvement by simply bleeding new fluid through all the lines.

Speaking of which, I have a brand new set of rear stock brake lines I didn't use if you need them (all four of the rear lines).
Old 12-04-2005, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That'll save me 100 bucks...

Thanks for the heads-up, I was just about to order the SS lines, but now I'll pass on them.

So far all OEM lines look good.

Off to order tires (I better get two, my spare is almost a slick)... :-(
Old 12-04-2005, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My front two lines were cracked, one was much worse than the other...

Make sure you get a good look at them while you're in there. My back ones looked fine, although I made the mistake of buying a complete set. Unfortunately, I couldn't return two of the rears because they were special ordered.

Good luck with the project and let me know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: Mr. D...