Tie rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod ends

I should prolly know this, but I don't: Are the tie rod ends located in the upper portion of the wheel well, & aft of the 2 upper control arms? I was told recently that they worn out since the wheel has play movement of about 2". I've also been getting a clanking sound f/ the wheel area recently while driving.

So, after talking to Mr D. on the flip-side (AIM)on Tuesday, I decided to check the wheels for myself. Sure enough there was a lot of play in the wheel, & I discovered where my sound was coming from. It was the part I just asked about at the top of the wheel well, & aft of the control arms.

I suppose I am correct after seeing pics of a tie rod end. They look identical to me. For this section of questions I'll pretend I am right & get on with the questioning.

1) Has anyone replaced these via DIY, & is it simple?

2) It looks as if it just screws onto the "arm" assembly that runs into the engine bay, & the other end has a pin that connects to the wheel assembly. Am I right about this or is it more complicated?

3) Do the threads need to be counted when screwing into the "arm " assembly?

4) Anything else I need to know to DIY it, or should I leave it to a pro?

As always, TIA!!!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default BTW, what is it's purpose?

Sorry, suspension is not my area of expertise since I've never messed w/ it before.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I replaced this part last summer by myself. It's pretty straightforward, having the "crow feet"

wrenches (I think thats wut theay are called) make loosening the nuts easy. You should spray them with PB blaster ahead of time. I just got an alignment done afterwards, I dont think you can do it without getting an alignment unless you're that good. Doing it yourself for the first time, I doubt you'll away with not getting an alignment. I happened to break a bolt by tightening the horizontal bolt, then the vertical bolt, tighten the horizontal, then the vertical bolts on the tie rod end.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You confused me a bit

**I happened to break a bolt by tightening
the horizontal bolt, then the vertical bolt,
tighten the horizontal, then the vertical bolts
on the tie rod end.**

Did you mean to tighten the vertical bolt, then the horizontal instead? I ask because you said that you broke a bolt by tightening the horizontal bolt, then the vertical bolt. Then you told me to do the same procedure that you did that broke your bolt. Did I just misunderstand something?

Oh BTW, do I need to buy the hardware kit too, or are the parts common enough that I can find the same hardware locally? Thanks!
Old 07-29-2004, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default woops

Sorry, I broke a bolt by tightening the vertical before the horizontal bolt. Do it in opposite order.

I think audi just reuses the old bolts. I guess it's up to you. I re-used all the bolts except the one that broke.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The nut/bolt at the tie rod end must be replaced according to Audi

You don't want that to fall off. ;-)