Weird engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are going to pull the cam its worth replacing the cam seal for a few bucks. i think i paid about 3 on autohaus. anyways there is a cam holder tool if you can get your hands on will work great for aligning the cams back up with the crank. also make sure that you run some oil on the camshaft where it fits into the journals, and if you do the cam seal that also. on a final note i would take a look at the filter in the valve cover which has clips that you can take it out with. if the filter is dirty and clogged then pressure will build up and blow out your valve cover gaskets and or cam seals(happened to mine). good luck!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little update. The car is about 95% done as of now. I wish I saw your post about the filters before I put the covers back on. However, it's not a big deal to open them back up so I think I'll do that and clean out the filters. The cams seem to be as close to TDC as I could possibly get without the tool (I just used a level to line up the new cam). I have one little problem that is standing in my way and that is that the coolant bleeder screw located on drivers side rear pipe that connects the two heads is striped, so the car runs but as soon as I put the cap on the coolant tank it starts to overheat. This thing is a PITA and I'm having a real hard time getting a wrench around it. I sprayed some WD40 on it and I'm going to let it sit overnight and try again tomorrow. I am also getting a CEL but I'm 99% sure its the cam shaft position sensor (I read this is somewhat normal). I hope to test it as soon as I can bleed the coolant system. I just hope to god I lined everything up right. If the belt dose so happen to be off by a tooth I would think you could notice it as soon as you take the RPMs up a bit? Like it will feel a little off maybe? I will do some searching but if anyone knows what it feels like to be off by a hair I would appreciate it. Again I'm 99% sure they are lined up as close as possible, but, shes my baby and I don't want to hurt her so yes I am going to second guess myself : / Thanks again for all the help guys!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Who knows if post is still alive, but try oil check valves

under the valley cover between the heads. Audi had a TSB for this for the old C4 V6. Happened on mine. Replaced and noise gone.

Just found this post looking for issues w/ oil smoke out exhaust tied to the breather system and maybe these same valves.