2.0T Hole Melted Through Intake...IDEAS???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 2.0T Hole Melted Through Intake...IDEAS???

OK, Where to start, i work at a junkyard strip cars and sell the parts. Anyway someone brought in a beautiful 08 A4 Quattro 2.0 t fsi. My Boss bought it off him and i bought it off my boss.... So here we go, i brought the car home which i was able to drive a few short miles w the engine shaking spittin and sputtering. After i looked under the hood first thing i noticed was a quarter size hole melted in the intake man. from the inside on cyl # 2, and the cat was cut out. So i removed the manifold looked into the intake valves and they were covered in rock hard sludge.Pulled the spark plugs and that same cyl spark plug was melted.Now im guessing that was due to the extra air causing that cyl to get hotter than normal.Now i have yet to do a compression test, or leakdown. i would like to take care of the half inch thick buildup before i do... So my questions are, has anyone ever had this problem, should i pull the head and eyeball for more damage, could the melting been caused from a clogged cat. Any advice would be helpfull. i know my way around an engine and am a fairly decent mechanic.. ANY IDEAS
Old 10-08-2017, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Pics will b coming soon
Old 10-10-2017, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The piston being melted is probably from running lean with the hole, what made the hole in the intake is my biggest question. Could the carbon build-up have caught fire or turned into a burning ember style and just super-heated the intake after the car was shutdown?
Old 10-11-2017, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The piston wasnt melted, the spark plug was..my initial thought was either the cat was clogged and due to the buildup on the intake valve it wasnt sealing properly.which was letting hot air flow back through the intake, but could be wrong...I m in the middle of putting it back together with a new intake manifold and plugs getting a vag com and starting fresh. so if i dont get any good advice untill then im just going to keep my fingers crossed
Old 04-10-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same problem except motor has no compression

Youre situation is almost identical to my current one what ended up happening with that car and would there be any reason for no compression?