Can someone help me put this jagoff in his place?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone help me put this jagoff in his place?

I posted on another forum that I own a 2003 A6 w/ the 2.7T motor. This smart *** jumps on me about how the 2.7T are junk and then posted this "proof":

I know we talked about this a while back, and I was asked why one should avoid the 2.7T engine in a VW/Audi. I believe I was accused of bias, even.

Well, I just came across a pretty good source.

Basically, the turbos are reputed to fail in the mileage range of 120-150k, and rebuilding the turbo involves not only rebuilding the whole engine but also removing the entire front end of the car.

The costs with labor run in to the thousands, and this is why the 2.7T has the reputation I'd heard about before and mentioned.

For the RS4, Audi employed Cosworth for tuning, who took the standard S4 2.7T engine from 250hp to 380hp, and they had to change:

* cylinder heads
* intake manifold
* injectors
* crankshaft
* crank main bearings
* rods
* rod bearings
* pistons
* exhaust manifold

Keep reading, we're not done yet!

* intercoolers
* larger K04 turbos

Basically the factory didn't have much faith in the stock engine when they boosted power levels, and pretty much changed everything.

Cobb supercharged a Subaru Tribeca and they basically added the blower and an intercooler. They deemed the internals beefy enough for this duty, bone stock.

Can anyone refute this guys info?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:12 PM

Default you can mention that real men do their own work

so "costs with labor runs in the thousands" indicates a lack of knowledge about the workings of the motor to begin with. also, numerous tuners make a reliable 380hp or more with stock internals, and the factory longblock is generally regarded as capable of making 500-600hp on the same OE parts with relative reliability. where exactly did he get the mileage range at which turbos fail, because i'm prety sure thats BS as well, ask for a source. finally, why would you compare a crossover suv to a sports sedan, of an entirely different design background and mentality. and, what proof is there that the tribeca is in any way reliable with said s/c, as they have not been on the market that long, and there surely hasn't been any time for long term testing of this kit. will it last "120-150k" like the turbos of the 2.7T? doubt it...
Old 05-09-2007, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RS4 self study guide

If that's the case, they didn't trust the wheels either, as they went to 18s. Maybe the wheels are prone to failure as well?

They also went to a wide body and made a ton of other changes.

I sincerely doubt they Tribeca is running near the boost that the RS4 engine is running. If I'm wrong, well, how about that.

Also, the Tribeca didn't start with turbos or go up 130 hp with the supercharger add-on.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/RS4_Training_Guide.pdf">RS4 self study guide</a></li></ul>
Old 05-09-2007, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Can someone help me put this jagoff in his place?

When it comes right down to it, he still has to confess he is driving a Subaru which when he tells someone will get him a small nod of approval at best. Say you drive an Audi and people almost bow at your feet.

None the less he is driving a car promoted by Mick Dundee... Please?

Audi has class!

Ask him if he shops at K-mart?

I'm a home audio fan.

Sure you can buy a Sony CD player and it'll probably last 20 years, but then you'll have to listen to a sony CD player which might be fine. If you've never heard a Krell or a Rotel CD player.

Subaru is fine if you wan't to settle for mediocre.

A medi is the absolute worst kind of ocre!
Old 05-10-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Thanks guys. All points were put into my reply.

He replied that his co-worker owned a 1999 S4, had problems with it, traded it in for a WRX, and now his life is great. Lost weight. Got a new girlfriend. etc. This is the basis for his slam of the 2.7T. He's a complete know-nothing that pretends to be a know-it-all on the edmunds.com/subaru forums.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LOL

unless he's from Europe, there was no 1999 S4
Old 05-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: LOL

hahha I really hope this asshat is from the states cuz then that story would be total bs.. just let him think he is the big badass of the edmunds/subaru forums.... i bet he got kicked off of the other suby forums
Old 05-10-2007, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think the best rebuttal is --

#1, this guys a twit, like most on the internet, they read a little crap here and there, and now theyre experts, like me.

#3 Essentially he MISUNDERSTANDS, both the mentallity of german engineers, and makes errant logical deductions- you tell him this **** man, shove it up his bung hole, lol

The german engineers chose to over engineer the hell out of the rs4 not because it needed it, but because the rs4 is a statement, its a work of art almost, whats the point of an rs4 if it just has a bigger turbos

Yes a suby with a turbo and intercooler is fine, but so IS A FREEKIN 2.7T, the awe kit, the apr kit the whatver kit, all bring the car to rs4 horse levels on stock internals, theres nothing inherentlky wrong with the 2.7 in its base form..

he basically confuses what coswroth chose to do, as meaning a necessity for such, and then compares it with some tuner like Cobb who are fine, but its a co,pletely differnt engineering stance and mindset from audi to an aftermarket tuner
Old 05-11-2007, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default um, what happened to #2?

NT
Old 05-11-2007, 06:36 AM

I would opine that asking a dude who's handle is "Burrito" about #2 is looking for trouble...

Quick Reply: Can someone help me put this jagoff in his place?