which chip is better

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default which chip is better

I recently purchased an Audi 2001 A6 2.6t. I ordered an MTM performance chip. When they went to install it they discovered it already had an APR chip in it. They said the MTM was a better chip and that APR chip was known for overspinning the turbos. They said I'd be replacing my turbos if I left it in. So, trusting their advise, I had the MTM chip installed to replace the APR chip. Did I waste my money? Is there a resale value for the APR chip they took out? I live at 8500 feet elevation.

Thanks

Kris Frederickson
Old 06-25-2008, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm sure you can sell it...

Here's the link to the APR website where they sell the chip...
http://goapr.com/Audi/products/ecu_upgrade_a627t.html
Old 06-26-2008, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thoughts

While I don't think the APR would over-spin your turbos, I have heard from a local shop about timing belts breaking after advancing the timing with an APR chip. No offense to anyone intended, but APR is an Alabama Audi tuner, where as MTM tunes their cars in a German town nearby where Audi builds the cars. MTM's founder was a long-time and respected Audi engineer. That being said, I had to send my software back to MTM when I first got it as there was an error and it was running my fuel too rich. They worked hard at reading my engine values and correcting the problem without a cost. At 8000 ft. you're going to need all the power you can get, so I'm glad you've got a chip. And since you didn't pay for the APR, why not try and sell it on here for a very low price or just give it away... what are you going to use it for?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

APR does not overspin anything
Old 06-26-2008, 12:47 PM

Default Ignition timing is not related to the cam timing

Timing belts should be changed every 70-80k to prevent failure.
For the OP, if they desoldered the chip from your ECU it's unlikely to be worth much, the chips are coded for the original tuner that purchases them from APR. To use it you'd have to find a shop willing to solder it back in and code it, most APR software is done via flashing these days so a used solder on chip would probably be more trouble than it's worth.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default cannot reuse APR chip on another car

OK now you got my attention. My local MTM dealer who removed the APR and installed the MTM is the one who said he has had problems with the APR taking out turbos. I trust his word. And, yes, I realize he has a vested interest in telling me to take out the APR and put in the MTM chip.

Nevertheless, I've already done it. So the question now is whether the APR chip has any value to anyone other than me. If it was tuned to my specific car then I understand it is no good to anyone else. But then again, I don't know where the car was when the chip was installed. I am at a higher elevation than most, but the previous owner lived in Nebraska, at a lower elevation. Does this matter?

The MTM chip was just installed as it came from MTM. There was no tuning specific to my car. I am confused. If the APR chip was tuned to my car that sounds like it would be a better set up. Should I disregard my trusted shop's opinion that the MTM is a better chip and have the APR reinstalled? I own them both so now it is a matter of having the best one it the car. Which one is better?
Old 06-26-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little late to ask if you wasted your money..you would have been fine with the APR.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Either/Or. Both are a huge improvement over stock (long)

APR has made software for this engine for years and they know there stuff just like MTM, GIAC, and others. You can argue over which one is better until the end of time. I don't think APR puts any more strain on the turbo's than others. K03's are little tiny turbo's that when chipped with any type of software are bound to operate outside the orginal specification limits they were designed for. So don't expect them to last forever if you chip the car with any type of software other than stock. Best advise to make those little turbo's last is let the car get up to operating temp before getting into the boost and make sure to idle and cool down for a full minute or two by pumping oil through the turbo after any spirited driving before turning the car off. Still that is no guarantee they will last.

Your mechanic is selling a product, but a proven one. If your mechanic sold APR you would also be getting a proven product. Save your money and leave the MTM chip in there. I doubt you can get very much for an APR chip as previously mentioned everybody has gone to Flash programing.

Oh, the APR chip is not custom tuned to your car, just registered. So don't worry about it being "matched" for your car.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Either/Or. Both are a huge improvement over stock (long)

Thanks for the info. There does seem to be a difference. The MTM seems to provide a more robust response at lower RPMs. The APR was smooth by comparison. And, I don't know if this is chip related but with the previous chip (APR) I would sometimes experience a significant "thump" when under acceleration and the Tiptronic shifted into 5th or when the lockup engaged. I have not experienced it since the MTM was installed.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You can install an APR chip on a different car....

I bought a STG 1 APR box and it worked just fine. I now have a STG 3 APR box that I bought used. No problems.

Quick Reply: which chip is better