i have some some problems about my b5 s4 plz help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have some some problems about my b5 s4 plz help

Just want to say hello and im glad to be apart of this forum.I had a few questions of an s4 that i bought like 2 months ago if any of u can help me i would appreciated.I have a 2001 s4 with 77k manual tran. black on black completely stock.The issues that it has are the lcd cluster is missing pixels, it pulls on the left a little bet, body needs a lil work on some dings and bumps, seats are the blue alcantra which are a lil dirty, it doesent have the original key,and the timing belt has not been done.I paid 10500 did i get a deal that is my questuion?This are the problems that i can fix with money and not that major.The things that im kind of worried are this

1)When im driving and i put in neutral when im almost to a compleat stop around like 10 mph the rpms usually drop around 700 rpms and the car chokes or shakes untill im to a compeat stop, some times it dose this not all the time.u guys have any clues to what it might be.

2)When im driving and im around 1800 rpms with 2nd or 3rd gear and i kind of hit the gas a little bet the car chokes around 2200-2500 rpms same thing it only does it once in a while but that makes me worry i dont want it to be something major.

3)There is no leaks that i know of but there is this smell like when oil leaks on the exhaust and it comes through the vents when i have the heater on u guys know if there is some weak hoes or something that i need to replace it dosent do it all the time mabye every 5 starts.

hope my questions were clear enough to understand them but please let me know if u want me to make something clearer.Thank you
Old 11-17-2008, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default k

1. probably need to clean the throttle body and replace your air filter

2. maybe a boost leak or a bad EGT? check your codes

3. valve cover gasket or cam seals

oh, and replace your timing belt and other stuff
Old 11-17-2008, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Damn it, leave some advice for others to give too!

I agree with everything he said.

Get the car checked for any codes.

Where are you located, maybe someone on here will help you with a Vag-Com

Good Luck
Old 11-18-2008, 06:48 AM

Default Re: k

1. the air filter i have replaced but never cleand the throttle body ill probably do that this weeknd if i have some time.

2. Boost leak u mean by a cracked hoes somewhere? whats EGT? sorry i dont know what that means. and by codes u mean plug that computer thing to read the check engine codes right? Even tho there is no check engine light on.

3. I know how to get to the valve covers and its not that hard and expensive to fix but what about the cam seals are they hard to get to and expensive?

when i save some money i will change the timing belt for now ill try not to drive it too hard

Im located in albany Ny upstate

thank you for your help.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default EGTs are Exhaust Gas Temperature sensors.

and yes he means hook up your car to a computer, best one for Audi is the Vag-Com offered by Ross Tech. Tells you everything from common engine codes to crazy stuff like hey your alarm was triggered.

Codes can be in the memory of the ECU and not displayed yet so you can have a code even without the check engine light (CEL) being on.

Boost leak can be cause by several problems, lose connections, torn throttle body boot or broken hoses. Most common is a torn throttle body boot (TTB).

EGTs are expensive so you might want to see if you have any codes first then go from there.

Good Luck
Old 11-18-2008, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default si

1. clean the throttle body and then perform a throttle body adaptation (read manual)

2. boost leak as in hole in a hose, cracked hose, split hose, hose that doesn't hold pressure.

EGT = exhaust gas temperature sensor

you can have codes without a CEL (read manual)

3. depending on which cam seal, they are either really easy or really hard - all depends on which one(s) is/are leaking
Old 11-18-2008, 01:10 PM

Default Re: EGTs are Exhaust Gas Temperature sensors.

wow thanx alot guys u r helping me so much ill start to perform this procedures that ya told me.thank you