INTERMITTENT Start-Up Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INTERMITTENT Start-Up Issue

Hey guys, first let me apologize if this is a question that has been beat to death over and over on here. Being an active member elsewhere on other auto forums, I know noobs that don't use the search feature is pretty annoying. I have searched but I feel if I go into specific details with my first post in this thread, you'll be able to better understand my problem w/o me leaving obvious questions/info out.

Anyways, I drive a 2001 Allroad (pretty much A6 avant) with the 2.7t engine.

For the last month or so, I've had an INTERMITTENT problem with starting my car. First off, it doesnt matter if it is 20 or 80 degrees outside, so weather does not seem to be a factor. And this only happens about 1/5 start ups after the car has been sitting overnight or long enough to completely cool down.

So heres what happens (when it does happen),
-I turn the key in the ignition, and nothing happens. After a few more tries, the car will attempt to start up, then die within a couple seconds.
-After each cycle, the car will attempt to idle for just a bit longer each time. However, the RPM's usually do not go much higher than 500rpm, with severe shaking and "puttering".
-Finally after 10-20 attempts, the car will start up without dying. Again the RPM's stay well below the normal cold start-up range and there definitely seems to be misfiring.
-If I press the gas pedal, the car will stutter and struggle to raise the RPM's. After a few minutes of warming up, everything seems to be okay and run as normal.
-Also, I'm pretty sure there is a slight gas odor and I swear on one occasion I saw a little bit of smoke from the exhaust in the first few seconds. So this must mean either the engine is flooding out for some reason, or that is just the result from the normal amount of fuel going into the engine finally being burnt off after the car finally starts up and stays running.

Yes, the CEL came on and the only code I pulled was the "Coolant Temp Sensor...". I bought a new sensor and installed it right away thinking it'd be a simple fix. However, the problem came back 2 days later and the CEL is throwing the same code.
I know there is a slight chance that the new sensor is bad too, but not likely. Also, I know that one problem can cause others like a chain reaction, causing the computer to throw a code that is irrelevant to the source of the problem.

I went ahead and changed out the fuel filter, thinking that was a possible issue....but that still did not fix the problem. I also replaced the spark plugs...again, no fix.

The city I currently live in does not have an Audi dealer, or any shops that specialize in VW/Audi vehicles. There is a VW dealer in town, but they said they weren't sure if they would be able to diagnose the problem since VW vehicles do not share the same engine I have. So basically I am hoping someone here can guide me in the right direction to pin-pointing the problem so I don't have to drive 350 miles to the closest shop I know of capable and trustworthy enough of working on my car.

I will say I am mechanically capable of working on a difficult car with a tight engine bay. Previously owned a Twin Turbo 300zx, which had even less room under the hood to work with.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shots in the dark: engine speed sensor, clutch pedal sensor, *maybe* cam position sensors.

the first one wouldn't throw a code, second maybe, third definitely throw a code.

with it being intermittent and a 2001, you can *probably* rule out the MAF being bad, but feel free to unplug it and see if it gets better.

also, maybe the flywheel pin is bent for some odd reason?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default bad gas perchaps? do you always fill up at the same station or brand of

stations? try putting some "sea foam" in a tank and see if it makes a difference or try some type of water remover......good luck i hope everything works out
Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 PM

Default Re: bad gas perchaps? do you always fill up at the same station or brand of

Definitely not the gas...I buy all different brands in two different cities (Lubbock and Dallas).

And i've used plenty of seafoam...about 3 tanks worth already, 2 of which were consumed at once traveling between lubbock and dallas.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:08 PM

Default Re: shots in the dark: engine speed sensor, clutch pedal sensor, *maybe* cam position sensors.

Well my car is an Auto...so no clutch or flywheel to consider.

Cam position sensors...ahh i hope not.

I really need to invest in a VAG-COM....or at least figure out a way to get o hold of a guy here in town who I'm pretty sure owns one.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

for that, you can still go to Advance or Autozone and borrow their code scanner for free.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

unplugged the MAF yet? might have a clogged PCV system?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 PM

Default Re: for that, you can still go to Advance or Autozone and borrow their code scanner for free.

Funny thing about that...I work at Advance haha. Student at Texas Tech University and I'm an assistant manager at Advance working part-time.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

well, there ya go?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:54 PM

Default UPDATE!

Okay so I took a simple approach, and purchased another coolant temp sensor from the VW dealer in town. I called Audi first to make sure the part numbers matched up.

The first sensor I bought was from Autozone...and I figured there was the chance it was defective.

So after spending the extra money and buying the OEM part, I installed it about 2 hours ago. So far the CEL has not come back on and everything seems to be running okay. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next few days before I confirm the OEM sensor is all it needed.

Quick Reply: INTERMITTENT Start-Up Issue