o2 sensor? cat? please give insight

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 sensor? cat? please give insight

So. the night my check engine "mil" light came on, took it in for a free scan at auto zone since i was by one while running errands, then i took it to a local shop that did my timing belt and water pump work and they scanned it with their vag-com (for free, typically they charge $40). these are the 2 codes they came up with (this is what i remember them saying, i did not write the information down from the screen)

17539: Banks II Sensor I: Internal resistance too high

0431: Catalyst efficiency low Bank II

They went ahead and cleared the codes and got rid of the light.

my question is, could the catalyst code be related to the error code coming from the sensor? This summer i had replaced Banks II Sensor 1 as it was not functioning at all, upon replacing, i had no codes upon scanning twice, then all the sudden 17539 appeared, went away, and now is there again.

could 17539 also be as simple of a fix as disconnecting the battery, checking the wire from the sensor, replugging it in, and reconnecting the battery? that is what i have been told?

if anyone has any insight on this issue please let me know. thanks for the help.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Your shop can check the O2 sensor and tell you if its good or not.

If they replaced this sensor again a few months ago, I would make sure they used an OEM sensor like Bosch. The O2 sensor can make the ECM think that the catalytic converter is not as efficient as it should be, so check the O2 sensor first.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Your shop can check the O2 sensor and tell you if its good or not.

Ok, ill have them check that, but i was the one who changed the sensor, i think i said that? sorry if i didnt. the previous owner of the vehicle purchased a sensor and shipped it to me right after i purchased the car. and yes it was a bosch sensor. i will take it back to the shop then and let them see if thats the problem, thanks.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you have the vag tool and Bentley you can check it your self.....

Did you splice the wires or the sensor was an AUDI original? sometimes splicings have issues....
Old 10-20-2008, 02:30 PM

Default Re: If you have the vag tool and Bentley you can check it your self.....

the sensor came new from bosch, no splicing was needed, just plug replace and plug in. i dont have a vag tool or bentley that is why i had to take it to a indy shop to have them do it for me.

it is currently in the shop today, they are checking it all out for me, hopefully they can figure it out, the reason i was asking on here is because they werent really sure what the problem could be, so, idk. well see when they call me back.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:17 PM

Default Took it to the shop and...

So, i took my car into the shop monday (indy that did my timing belt, water pump, thermostat, cam shaft seals)

and had them check out what these codes might mean, well, they dont know. they did a full EVAP test and everything checked out with flying colors, not a single thing wrong with the CAT's all 4 of the sensors individually checked out with flying colors. so, i still am curious as to what this code: 17539 internal resistance too high, actually means, they checked with their vag-com, researched online, bentley repair manual and everything, and werent able to find what the problem may be. so, i hope they were right cuz it cost me $80.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Most of the time I clear the codes and see if they come back......
Old 10-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How much did they charge for parts and labor for the TB service and seals?
Old 10-25-2008, 08:46 AM

Default Re: How much did they charge for parts and labor for the TB service and seals?

Did i tell this story earlier? i cant remember haha, it was lame.

The day i was moving back down to school, i was following my mom in the truck with all my stuff, and i was less than 10 miles from the town my school is it, and BAM! look down and the temp gauge is pegged at "H" so i pulled over immidiately, pop the hood, first reaction was to check oil, look for any leaks, and smells, etc. nothing. so, first day of the term i take it in to the shop and they told me it was the water pump. so i was not happy, why couldnt this have happened over the summer when i was trying to keep my saved up money haha, o well

it was $1183.65 for timing belt, water pump, and they also did thermostat and cam shaft seals.

i figured that was a pretty reasonable price. plus, after i drove away when they got done, the temp gauge still went to hot so i went back and was like, wtf?

ended up being a sensor, when the water pump went it fried a sensor, so they were chill and replaced it no charge. when they pulled it out the o-ring was just fried to all hell.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Most of the time I clear the codes and see if they come back......

yea, thats what they did and they said to bring it back after awhile and see if they come back (since i dont have a vag-com for myself)

Quick Reply: o2 sensor? cat? please give insight