Odd noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd noise

I have recently bought my car and I have had to put some money in my car so far. Everything is going smoothly but there is one thing that I need to fix and I am not sure exactly what it is. Whenever I am driving and I got over a bump or if my car drops in height in anyway, theres a crazy sound. I tried pushing down on the car and letting go and the noise appears. The noise sounds like a bad mattress(squeaky)noise so thats why I think its the spring. But, I am not a mechanic, so what do you guys think?
Old 01-12-2007, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check the suspension at the upper control arm joints (w/ the rubber boots). These are likely torn

and water has gotten inside. There are two joints with these boots at the top of the suspension (in wheel well, above tire - visible w/o having to lift the car, just bend down and look inside there). These are infamous for tearing and this is the most likely source of the noise. You can try injecting grease using one of the grease needle style fittings you can get at AutoZone/Advance/etc, for like $4; but the permanent fix is to replace all of the joints and control arms, as the bushings wear out as well - try greasing these as well if you're in there. Virtually all Audi/VW's need this repair after 5-6 years or so. STFA and you'll find many posts on this. Sorry to break it to you it will cost you several hundred $ to take care of this (or more).
Old 01-12-2007, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Check the suspension at the upper control arm joints (w/ the rubber boots). These are likely to

Ouch, thats not what I really wanted to hear. So you say to replace the control arms and all the joints? I saw this upgraded package on the internet for like $500 dollars, so I think I just have to purchase that. If I replace the control arms and the joints, they should have new bushings correct?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes, new control arms and TRE's will contain all new bushings and joints; BUT don't just do this w/o

verifying that is what truly is the cause of the problem/noise. Based upon ownership and reading these forums over the past 5+ years, control arms/TRE's/ball joints are known weak links on these cars. You could have a spring issue, but if you are over 60k miles and 5 or more years old, the odds are that it is suspension components other than the spring. Have it checked out by someone who knows what they're doing - but if you squirt some grease in the joints and it stops temporarily, then you've found the culprit - that is what I was suggesting - its cheap to buy a tube of grease and a needle (and even a grease gun if necessary) and try this vs replacing any part until you're certain what is the root cause.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default check the ft and rear sway bar linkages.. these make squeaky noises when they are bad..

very cheap repair and a easy diy..