Water in Oil - Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in Oil - Help

Here are the details: 00 S4 VAST Stage 3. K04's IPP intercoolers, pheolic intake spacer, GIAC Chip Walbro 225 fuel pump, green tops, 5 bar yadda yadda. I was driving to work today (car was not yet warmed up) and then I noticed smoke coming from the exhaust and the car was stumbling. Water temperature was fine but oil temperature was low (did not move). When I got to work (about 5 miles) I pulled the dip stick and seen evidence of water. I pulled the oil cap and sure enough, water on the cap. First thought was head gasket, but then realized water temp was normal, coolant level was just below full and this made me think maybe a turbo seal. Any thoughts on the cause? What is the level of repair needed (ie. do I need an engine rebuild due to water or can I flush?)

Super bummed...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much water? If you have not lost a significant amount of coolant then your issue is likely

simply condensation - gasoline burns to yield water and CO2 (for the most part - I'm simplifying here...). If you drive the car a lot in cold weather and the oil doesn't get up to normal temps and stay there for a while (like a 10 - 12 miles trip, at least) this condensation can build up in the crankcase and you will see milky stuff on the dipstick and oil filler cap. Small amounts of condensation are normal and will not hurt if they are boiled off. Continued short trips can allow the water to build up.

My bet is this is what you have seen. You really need to VAG the car and see what codes you are getting. Could be coolant leak, but you'll have to keep a close eye on the coolant level to be sure. Water will sink to the bottom of the oil pan, so the cheapest way to check is to drain the oil and see if you get a significant amount of water coming out of the pan. Assuming you have a turbo seal or head gasket leak is expensive if you turn out to be wrong. Also the oil cooler is a common leak spot. The R&R of that part isn't too bad. Can check for coolant leaks with pressure test.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd to this. 00nogaro, take your car on a long trip at least 1-2 times a week to get the oil up to

temp.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:34 AM

Default Re: 2nd to this.

The car has not thrown a MIL (CEL). Coolant levels were just below full. I did an oil change last week (OEM filter, Mobil 0W40) so it's unlikely that this has been going on a while. I'll vag the car tonight and wee what comes up. I hope it's not significant though.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:03 AM

Default How much milky sludge did you see? A few spots or was it like most of the oil? I've seen drops of

it on my oil filler cap in the winter, but never on the dipstick (on the S4). I've seen it on the dipstick on other cars during extremely cold weather, but a few drops doesn't mean you've done any damage unless it is a constant thing. If you see it when the oil temp is at 225 or higher, I'd start to worry. Odds are that you would not see a coolant leak immediately in the oil, but you did just change it. Watch the coolant level carefully and realize that it will read noticeably lower in really cold weather when the engine is cold vs warmer weather.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Water in Oil - Help

oil coolers do something to this effect when the rupture. drain the oil and see if it looks like chocolate milk. if it appears to be mixed into the coolant bottle as well, you can flush it out with DAWN dish soap and the rest water. keep doing this until all the oil seems to be free of water. if that isnt whats wrong i have seen the block crack internally and cause a small amount of coolant loss. i dont think that is what you are experiencing...let me know...cheers
Old 02-04-2008, 07:40 AM

Default Re: UPDATE - coolant in oil - FIXED

The issue was likely condensation from two sources: general combustion and a cracked PCV valve line (milk in PCV valve). The latter was likely done during a very cold snap since the crack looked very clean. The loss of coolant leak was found to be from a leak in the hose (bad clamp) coming from line mid engine directly under the intake plenum. New clamp fixed it up. BUT a new problem has reared and is discussed in a new post. Please comment