Timing Belt, Valve Gaskets, Cam Chain Tensioner Job

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt, Valve Gaskets, Cam Chain Tensioner Job

Just finished job on my 2001 A4 2.8 Quattro with 107700. She's been leaking oil and cooking it on exhaust for quite some time now but the real issue started with a ticking sound under the hood. Pinpointed severe damage to passenger side cam chain tensioner. (see one of my prior threads).

After some time and research, decided to replace much more than the obvious cam chain tensioner, which actually destroyed both the top and bottom pads (picked pieces out of head and punctured valve cover gasket), but chain also made grooves into the metal under the pads.

Investing about $1000 in parts (Amazon for cam chain tensioner and Blauparts for all else), ended up doing the big job of removing front bumper, pulling radiators forward and going to work on the heads and timing belt.

See blauparts.com for details on timing belt kits and valve cover gasket kits. Ended up with new gaskets, seals, water pump, damper, idlers, thermostat, timing belt, serpentine belt, and breather hose (turned out to be clogged and important too!).

Looks like the oil issues have cleared up, she feels a little stronger and the diesel mimic sound has thankfully vanished.

The job took about 3-4 full days and it was a lot of work, much of it cleaning and double checking timing and procedure. It looks like the work has paid off and I am happy this great car is back on the road.

If you own or maintain 2.8 engines found in many Audi's and VW's spend some time at blauparts.com. Lots of useful info and videos, not to mention great phone service. All kits came with descriptive instructions and even rented the timing belt tools from them.

Hope to keep it for another 100000 and am already making a laundry list of other jobs.

Would be happy to answer any questions you've got. Post reply or email me at gotime88@hotmail.com

What a great German automobile!