4.2 engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2 engine noise

hello been to look at 2002 s8 137k in excellent condition however the dealer selling it has been using it for a couple of months and according to him just been serviced. following the service the engine is noisey at the top end. checked the oil level etc all ok . its not unlike a tappet noise but it stayed on even when warm . my ABZ 4.2 is silent in comparison any ideas or thoughts the car is cheap maybe too cheap ! Thanks in anticipation
Old 02-23-2010, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

could be anything, if it is true that it just started after the service perhaps he did not put the proper oil in it, it should be vw502.00 compliant...but that may be wishfull thinking...buy at your own risk
Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi ,I've ha dteh same problem .
Does the noi seem stronger when the engine is idling?
I had both of the camshaft adjusters changed . And had to redo the timing etc.
It's not very fun but had to be done.
See the camshaft adjuster has two pieces of plastic on wich the chain runs, one on the top one on the bottom,and these chains pads because weare and teare heat and everything else break an fall in the oil pan or break just partialy and that is why you hear the noise. If they just serviced it and changed the oil and there still is the noise most likley this is the cause . The dealer will try to tell you that these are the noise from the ingectors or other "natural" noise . If you realy want to buy it i suggest you check the money factor of the deal, how much would it cost you to repair that , my case was like 1400 one side and another 14-1600 hundred the other side. This was done with a firend of a friend .
Good Luck!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=CosminTurdean;23935200]Hi ,I've had the same problem .
Does the noise seem stronger when the engine is idling?
I had both of the camshaft adjusters changed . And had to redo the timing etc.
It's not very fun but had to be done.
See the camshaft adjuster has two pieces of plastic on which the chain runs, one on the top one on the bottom,and these chains pads because ware and tare heat and everything else break an fall in the oil pan or break just partially and that is why you hear the noise. If they just serviced it and changed the oil and there still is the noise most likely this is the cause . The dealer will try to tell you that these are the noise from the injectors or other "natural" noise . If you really want to buy it i suggest you check the money factor of the deal, how much would it cost you to repair that , my case was like 1400 one side and another 14-1600 hundred the other side. This was done with a friend of a friend .
Good Luck !
I apologies for the spelling mistakes done on the earlier posting.