Dip stick stuck on 4.2 AR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dip stick stuck on 4.2 AR?

So, I asked this on the AR forum, but had no replies. I can not get the dip stick out of the engine. I can pull the dip stick out about an inch or so, then it feels like it snags on something and i can't get it out to check oil level.

From what I see, the dip sticks for these have a plastic end on the metal "wire". Could it be possible that plastic end is catching on something?

That's exactly what it feels like.

Were there any issues with these?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey Horkn:
Sorry to hear of your situation...'issues'...happen.

My ride is in the indy shop now so I can not pull mine to confirm your thoughts...however as a suggestion...could you make a friendly telephone call to your mechanic or audi dealer...(service tech...they could get the 'ear' of a trusted mechanic) to offer advise.

They could confirm any known issues w/dip sticks or even if their is a "service bulletin" that you have not been notified by Audi yet ???

I'll be getting to my Audi later in the week...I'll try to report then.

I don't think Bentley's repair manual addresses the dip stick but I'll check...I am sure it's following your thoughts...just a fluke breakdown of a non-moving vehicle part...how does that happen ????

Good luck...keep us advised.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Bentley's review & thought

Just checked Bentley's repair DVD and didn't find a whole lot of helpful info. about the oil dip stick...other than the obvious it exists !!!!

It's basic topic was involved around an engine rebuild or major head service application. I got a thought while viewing the instructions & diagrams...

It mentioned the upper oil pan removal while showing the large plastic baffles. Maybe your oil dip stick is catching on some of the large plastic baffle 'fins'...???

So here's my thought...if you remove the oil dip stick "guide" that is stabilizing the oil dip stick housing...you might be able to twist &/or rotate both the oil dip stick & housing...0 thru 360...maybe raising & lowering while twisting &/or giving it a full to partial rotation.

Kinda like getting a fishing lure unhooked from a snag....Give it a try !!!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have to take a good look at it this weekend. For once it won't be 20 below at night this weekend.

Who would have thought a dip stick would be such a PITA?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default checked the dip stick

I just check the 98 Audi A8 dip stick placement while my donor engine was being 'reconditioned'. With the oil pans off...the plastic honey comb baffles in full sight...there is nothing that should be catching your dip stick...! The dip stick only extends about 6 inch's from the long block entry point into the 'oil pan reserve'.

I have a possible thought...you mention that you can pull the dip stick out about 1 inch...how often have you checked the oil level in the past? I was thinking that if you have not checked the oil level in some time...maybe if the engine has been 'hot' or over heated...your dip stick might have become gummy w/old oil & crystallized materials...dirt/impurities...??

If the support bracket is remove as mentioned earlier...maybe you can remove the combination dip stick & housing together. In either event...consider replacing the combination dip stick & housing. I think you could seek a replacement combination new or used. If you can remove the old combination unit...get the length & hole sizes...don't for get the hidden depth.

I'm sure the salvage yards w/Audi's can find a replacement...possibly @a reasonable price. Try car-parts.com, Skokan's or others.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Dip stick stuck on 4 2 AR

It works perfect. I have also changed my filter and fluid, used the stick as a final gauge. Took it to the dealer to have them double check, spot on.